Portfolio Help!!!

  • Roberta
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
      Hi All,

      I am a newbie to the group and costume designing. I currently volunteer
      as a costume designer at my local community theatre, where I have
      designed 7 shows so far this past year. Alas, I realise now that I
      should have been taking photos to build a portfolio of my work. I do
      have access to some archival photos that a photographer took of each
      show.

      My question is do you think these photos, if cropped and enlarged, would
      work for a portfolio or would I do better to take all the costumes from
      the shows and put them on a dressmakers dummy and take new photo's?

      Thanks for the help!!!

      Roberta

    • Sprinkle Magic
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
        Hi Roberta,

        If you can salvage any good shots from the shows, I think that's a great way to see the costumes come alive. The dress makers model is very static, so generally doesn't really do costumes justice....BUT if the images from the show are not very good, definately get a record of the costumes any way you can....another suggestion is to have close up shots on the dress makers model along side shots from the production.

        Sprinkle

        Roberta <bertababe71@...> wrote:

        Hi All,

        I am a newbie to the group and costume designing. I currently volunteer
        as a costume designer at my local community theatre, where I have
        designed 7 shows so far this past year. Alas, I realise now that I
        should have been taking photos to build a portfolio of my work. I do
        have access to some archival photos that a photographer took of each
        show.

        My question is do you think these photos, if cropped and enlarged, would
        work for a portfolio or would I do better to take all the costumes from
        the shows and put them on a dressmakers dummy and take new photo's?

        Thanks for the help!!!

        Roberta

        Performing arts camp Performing arts schools Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

      • K Murphy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
          I agree with Sprinkles advice to supplement dressmaker dummy photos with photos from the shows (especially color photos.)

          One additional piece of advice, though. Don't take pictures of ALL the costumes individually. Just your best work.

          In the past when I have reviewed portfolios, I could tell from the very first page or two if the person had achieved a skill level I was interested in. The rest of the work displayed would tell me if they could coordinate the look of a whole show, what they were best at, and sometimes the scope (range) of their past work as well.

          Roberta <bertababe71@...> wrote:

          Hi All,

          I am a newbie to the group and costume designing. I currently volunteer
          as a costume designer at my local community theatre, where I have
          designed 7 shows so far this past year. Alas, I realise now that I
          should have been taking photos to build a portfolio of my work. I do
          have access to some archival photos that a photographer took of each
          show.

          My question is do you think these photos, if cropped and enlarged, would
          work for a portfolio or would I do better to take all the costumes from
          the shows and put them on a dressmakers dummy and take new photo's?

          Thanks for the help!!!

          Roberta

          Performing arts camp Performing arts schools Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

        • Sherry Ross
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
            which community Theatre group are you with? I'm with the Brampton Music Theatre , I'm producer for the Youth Troupe and costume designer for Main stage productions and youth troupe. I done over seven shows in two years and I take pictures during dress rehearsals and during fittings.
            Sherry

            Roberta <bertababe71@...> wrote:
            Hi All,

            I am a newbie to the group and costume designing. I currently volunteer
            as a costume designer at my local community theatre, where I have
            designed 7 shows so far this past year. Alas, I realise now that I
            should have been taking photos to build a portfolio of my work. I do
            have access to some archival photos that a photographer took of each
            show.

            My question is do you think these photos, if cropped and enlarged, would
            work for a portfolio or would I do better to take all the costumes from
            the shows and put them on a dressmakers dummy and take new photo's?

            Thanks for the help!!!

            Roberta

            Performing arts camp Performing arts schools Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

            Sherry Ross
            Costume Designer
            Peter Pan 2004
            Brampton Music Theatre

          • Sherry Ross

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
                I'm with the Tallahassee Little Theatre in Tallahassee Florida.
                I'm definitely going to start taking them during dress parade as we
                call it. I just hated to impose on the show's rehearsal time and we
                always have an archive photographer take pics so I figured I could
                always get copies of their pics.

                What size format works best for portfolios?

                Roberta

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sherry Ross