costuming Beauty and The Beast

  • anniethings53
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2006
      Hi! I'm new to this board, but not new to costuming. I've been
      costuming theatre productions for 16 years now, and our summer
      production of Disney's Beauty and The Beast has me worried. I've been
      researching for months now and have searched online for costumes to
      rent, but the problem is that I only like some costumes from each
      place, plus it's getting too late to reserve any rentals now (the
      production is the end of July). So, that means that we build!

      Can anyone direct me to any helpful sites or information on how to
      build some of these "objects" so that I don't have to re-invent the
      wheel? Any information would be helpful at this point!

      You're a great group of talented costumers and I've enjoyed reading
      your posts and advice for several months now. I look forward to making
      some new friends.

      Thanks,
      Annie
    • helen Cav
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2006
        Annie, Hi, I am also new to the board but feel a kindred spirit with costumers. Where are you located? I Costumed Beauty and The Beast last summer and it was my hardest yet. It turned out to be our Best production. I Still have some of the costumes available for sale. I can also give you tips and ideas and also what doesn't work. I would be happy to give you any advice. I had to build a wardrobe and a clock from scratch and learned alot along the way.
        Here is a link to see the pictures from our production. http://costumemom.smugmug.com/gallery/743932/1/32775809
        Helen

        anniethings53 <dabehrens@...> wrote: Hi! I'm new to this board, but not new to costuming. I've been
        costuming theatre productions for 16 years now, and our summer
        production of Disney's Beauty and The Beast has me worried. I've been
        researching for months now and have searched online for costumes to
        rent, but the problem is that I only like some costumes from each
        place, plus it's getting too late to reserve any rentals now (the
        production is the end of July). So, that means that we build!

        Can anyone direct me to any helpful sites or information on how to
        build some of these "objects" so that I don't have to re-invent the
        wheel? Any information would be helpful at this point!

        You're a great group of talented costumers and I've enjoyed reading
        your posts and advice for several months now. I look forward to making
        some new friends.

        Thanks,
        Annie

        Performing arts camp Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

      • balazssavelli
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2006
          -Hi Annie,
          I did B&B last year, TWICE!
          Tell me what you want, think of, maybe I can get you in the right
          direction.
          One theatre I did it for, is renting the costums out, question is,
          when is your show going on, cause that theatre is producing it again
          in August.
          If you end up building the show, I have some ideas that might help.
          Let me know if I can help!!

          -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"

        • Alexadbw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2006
            In a message dated 5/13/2006 2:29:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            dabehrens@... writes:

            , and our summer
            production of Disney's Beauty and The Beast

            Where are you located?

          • anniethings53
            Message 5 of 6 , May 15, 2006
              I am the costumer for the Eau Claire Children's Theatre in Eau Claire,
              Wisconsin, 90 miles east of Minneapolis. www.ecct.org.

              Months ago I contacted Chanhassen Dinner Theatre in MN, but they were
              already booked to rent their set of costumes for the dates we needed
              them, July 22-30. They have awesome costumes.
              We might be interested in renting some of the major costumes if they
              are the right style and price, but we haven't rented costumes for
              years. We rent out OUR costumes, so building our own set of B & B
              costumes has its advantages. I'm just trying to preserve my sanity
              with this project. I'm sure many of you will understand.

              Thanks,
              Annie

            • zonironi66@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 16, 2006
                We would be able to rent out our costumes rather inexpensively ($15-25 per
                costume). We've never done that before, as we are a fairly new school, but we
                have quite a few pieces. We built Cogsworth, Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Gaston, six
                knives, six forks, six spoons, six dinner plates, two teacups, a sugar bowl
                and creamer set, a rug, 2 champagne flutes, and a champagne bottle (actually we
                purchased this item).
                We rented our wardrobe from a school in LaSalle Peru, Illinois called St.
                Bede Academy. We also rented the ballgown and Babette from them. They were very
                inexpensive. The contact there is Brother Mark. We rented the silly girls,
                the wolves, and the salt and pepper shakers from Archive Costumes (Hale Center
                Theatre) out of Utah. They rent by the piece, and they have some really
                great stuff. The blue Belle dress came from Northern State University in South
                Dakota. I believe the contact there was Daniel Yurgaitis (or something like
                that). The other company with great stuff I believe is called Red Door, but
                their stuff is usually booked far in advance.
                Let me know if you would like to see pictures of our show. Also, I have a
                file from Archive with all of their pictures, which are great. Would you like
                that, too? I'll talk to you soon.
                Jodi Prosser