Re: Update to "Is It Just Me?"

  • anniethings53
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2006
      I agree with everyone else that you will be appreciated elsewhere!

      You stated in your initial post that:
      "in addition to not getting paid, I also pay for everything I need each
      year to execute the costumes for the 7th grade production."
      If I were you, get in to the costume storage (if you still can) and
      remove any and all costumes that you paid for with your own money and
      sewed with your own volunteer time. Good grief, you OWN those costumes
      and shouldn't leave them there. They have no idea how much you've done
      for them, so let them find out when they have nothing to wear next year
      because all the costumes you've sewn for the past 6 years are gone.
      Annie

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Luciano"
      <aluciano@...> wrote:

      > Since everyone was so great about responding to my last query,
      thought I'd let you all know that today I received a letter from the
      teacher/director (for whom I have busted a gut for six years running)
      firing me as the volunteer costumer for the medieval production at my
      son's former school! I am gobsmacked -- and all because I told them
      that they had to exercise better control over the kids if they wanted
      me to continue doing the costumes.

      > Andrea
      > New York City

    • Theresa
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2006
        I agree. You could probably do well offering to rent them to other schools in your area.
        Theresa R.

        <aluciano@...> wrote:

        > Since everyone was so great about responding to my last query,
        thought I'd let you all know that today I received a letter from the
        teacher/director (for whom I have busted a gut for six years running)
        firing me as the volunteer costumer for the medieval production at my
        son's former school! I am gobsmacked -- and all because I told them
        that they had to exercise better control over the kids if they wanted
        me to continue doing the costumes.

        > Andrea
        > New York City

        Performing arts camp Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

      • metholhill
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2006
          Hi Andrea,
          I have worked with a school for 7 years now. For the first 6 shows
          as a volunteer and for the last one I actually got the costumers
          going rate - which I asked for and received. I am currently working
          on the next production as we speak and with a paycheque and the
          title of Costume Director. I am so sorry that your experience has
          not been a good one and I am so sorry that the director does not
          appreciate your time, contributions, talent and monetary injections
          into his/her shows. It is bad enough that you had to endure the
          unruly children without the support of the director/staff at the
          school.
          I think that in time they will come to realize how much they miss
          your input, but for now I agree the best thing you can do is to
          either walk away being the better person, or yes I do agree that a
          letter explaining "volunteerism" is in order and wishing them well
          would be good too. I know that my first instinct would be to let
          them know what I think of them, but burning bridges and all that.
          The best revenge of course would be to start your own costume
          business. Have you considered that? I am in the process of doing
          that myself and I have also found another school to volunteer at. I
          have been very fortunate in that the staff I work with support me
          always. I wish you the best, feel free to email me if you want.
          Patricia - Costume Lady Creations
          Costumelady@...

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"