Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Update to "Is It Just Me?"

  • Randolph Keator
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13 3:57 AM
      You were fired from a volunteer position ? Which you have been holding for
      six years ? Wow ! ! Were it myself I would write a reply and thank them
      from the bottom of my heart ! ! And when they can't find someone else to
      fill your volunteer position because of the unruly "little darlings" and beg
      you to come back you should stand your ground and kindly remind them you
      were a unpaid "volunteer". Now they will have to pay you if they truly want
      your services. Truly Andrea with your knowledge and talents, it is their
      loss.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13 9:24 AM
        I agree with everyone else that you will be appreciated elsewhere!

        You stated in your initial post that:
        "in addition to not getting paid, I also pay for everything I need each
        year to execute the costumes for the 7th grade production."
        If I were you, get in to the costume storage (if you still can) and
        remove any and all costumes that you paid for with your own money and
        sewed with your own volunteer time. Good grief, you OWN those costumes
        and shouldn't leave them there. They have no idea how much you've done
        for them, so let them find out when they have nothing to wear next year
        because all the costumes you've sewn for the past 6 years are gone.
        Annie

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Luciano"
        <aluciano@...> wrote:

        > Since everyone was so great about responding to my last query,
        thought I'd let you all know that today I received a letter from the
        teacher/director (for whom I have busted a gut for six years running)
        firing me as the volunteer costumer for the medieval production at my
        son's former school! I am gobsmacked -- and all because I told them
        that they had to exercise better control over the kids if they wanted
        me to continue doing the costumes.

        > Andrea
        > New York City

      • Theresa
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13 9:51 AM
          I agree. You could probably do well offering to rent them to other schools in your area.
          Theresa R.

          <aluciano@...> wrote:

          > Since everyone was so great about responding to my last query,
          thought I'd let you all know that today I received a letter from the
          teacher/director (for whom I have busted a gut for six years running)
          firing me as the volunteer costumer for the medieval production at my
          son's former school! I am gobsmacked -- and all because I told them
          that they had to exercise better control over the kids if they wanted
          me to continue doing the costumes.

          > Andrea
          > New York City

          Performing arts camp Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

        • metholhill
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13 10:40 AM
            Hi Andrea,
            I have worked with a school for 7 years now. For the first 6 shows
            as a volunteer and for the last one I actually got the costumers
            going rate - which I asked for and received. I am currently working
            on the next production as we speak and with a paycheque and the
            title of Costume Director. I am so sorry that your experience has
            not been a good one and I am so sorry that the director does not
            appreciate your time, contributions, talent and monetary injections
            into his/her shows. It is bad enough that you had to endure the
            unruly children without the support of the director/staff at the
            school.
            I think that in time they will come to realize how much they miss
            your input, but for now I agree the best thing you can do is to
            either walk away being the better person, or yes I do agree that a
            letter explaining "volunteerism" is in order and wishing them well
            would be good too. I know that my first instinct would be to let
            them know what I think of them, but burning bridges and all that.
            The best revenge of course would be to start your own costume
            business. Have you considered that? I am in the process of doing
            that myself and I have also found another school to volunteer at. I
            have been very fortunate in that the staff I work with support me
            always. I wish you the best, feel free to email me if you want.
            Patricia - Costume Lady Creations
            Costumelady@...

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"