Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Update to "Is It Just Me?"

  • Theresa
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2006
      I'd be tempted to write a very polite letter back explaining that volunteers can't be fired. Then express your regrets that you will no longer be available to volunteer for the productions, nor will you be available to advise future volunteers and wish them well.

      <EG> I have found that the best revenge/response to letters like this is to politely wish them well and go on to better things myself.

      Theresa R.

      Andrea Luciano <aluciano@...> wrote:
      Since everyone was so great about responding to my last query, thought I'd let you all know that today I received a letter from the teacher/director (for whom I have busted a gut for six years running) firing me as the volunteer costumer for the medieval production at my son's former school! I am gobsmacked -- and all because I told them that they had to exercise better control over the kids if they wanted me to continue doing the costumes.

      Andrea
      New York City

    • Randolph Keator
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2006
        You were fired from a volunteer position ? Which you have been holding for
        six years ? Wow ! ! Were it myself I would write a reply and thank them
        from the bottom of my heart ! ! And when they can't find someone else to
        fill your volunteer position because of the unruly "little darlings" and beg
        you to come back you should stand your ground and kindly remind them you
        were a unpaid "volunteer". Now they will have to pay you if they truly want
        your services. Truly Andrea with your knowledge and talents, it is their
        loss.
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2006
          I agree with everyone else that you will be appreciated elsewhere!

          You stated in your initial post that:
          "in addition to not getting paid, I also pay for everything I need each
          year to execute the costumes for the 7th grade production."
          If I were you, get in to the costume storage (if you still can) and
          remove any and all costumes that you paid for with your own money and
          sewed with your own volunteer time. Good grief, you OWN those costumes
          and shouldn't leave them there. They have no idea how much you've done
          for them, so let them find out when they have nothing to wear next year
          because all the costumes you've sewn for the past 6 years are gone.
          Annie

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Luciano"
          <aluciano@...> wrote:

          > Since everyone was so great about responding to my last query,
          thought I'd let you all know that today I received a letter from the
          teacher/director (for whom I have busted a gut for six years running)
          firing me as the volunteer costumer for the medieval production at my
          son's former school! I am gobsmacked -- and all because I told them
          that they had to exercise better control over the kids if they wanted
          me to continue doing the costumes.

          > Andrea
          > New York City

        • Theresa
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13, 2006
            I agree. You could probably do well offering to rent them to other schools in your area.
            Theresa R.

            <aluciano@...> wrote:

            > Since everyone was so great about responding to my last query,
            thought I'd let you all know that today I received a letter from the
            teacher/director (for whom I have busted a gut for six years running)
            firing me as the volunteer costumer for the medieval production at my
            son's former school! I am gobsmacked -- and all because I told them
            that they had to exercise better control over the kids if they wanted
            me to continue doing the costumes.

            > Andrea
            > New York City

            Performing arts camp Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

          • metholhill
            Message 5 of 7 , May 13, 2006
              Hi Andrea,
              I have worked with a school for 7 years now. For the first 6 shows
              as a volunteer and for the last one I actually got the costumers
              going rate - which I asked for and received. I am currently working
              on the next production as we speak and with a paycheque and the
              title of Costume Director. I am so sorry that your experience has
              not been a good one and I am so sorry that the director does not
              appreciate your time, contributions, talent and monetary injections
              into his/her shows. It is bad enough that you had to endure the
              unruly children without the support of the director/staff at the
              school.
              I think that in time they will come to realize how much they miss
              your input, but for now I agree the best thing you can do is to
              either walk away being the better person, or yes I do agree that a
              letter explaining "volunteerism" is in order and wishing them well
              would be good too. I know that my first instinct would be to let
              them know what I think of them, but burning bridges and all that.
              The best revenge of course would be to start your own costume
              business. Have you considered that? I am in the process of doing
              that myself and I have also found another school to volunteer at. I
              have been very fortunate in that the staff I work with support me
              always. I wish you the best, feel free to email me if you want.
              Patricia - Costume Lady Creations
              Costumelady@...

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"