Saving a costume

  • xochitl
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2006
      Does anyone have any ideas how to save a velvet renn faire court gown?
      A cat has peed on it. My friend is really upset( this is her first big
      costume project). I am at my wits end on this one.

      Thanks guys!!!
      Xochitl
    • Randolph Keator
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2006
        Did the cat pee on it or "spray" it as they often do to mark territory ?
        Knowing the extent of the damage and the type/color of velvet would also
        help. Hopefully as much of the urine as could be absorbed was blotted off
        the garment before it had a chance to set a stain. Try hand washing the spot
        with either fels naptha bar soap or sunlight bars soap and lukewarm to
        moderate temp water. Best way is to make a lather and use only the suds and
        working them into the nap with a soft bristle brush. Try not to saturate the
        fabric to the point where it is dripping wet. That should remove most if not
        all of the stain and odor. If odor is still evident spritz with some vodka.

      • Alexadbw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2006
          In a message dated 4/29/2006 9:01:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          rkeator@... writes:

          If odor is still evident spritz with some vodka.

          better choice would be "Nature's miracle" which is available at pet stores.
          Is the costurme Cotton velveteen, or rayon velvet?

        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2006
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "xochitl"
            <kittykatx@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have any ideas how to save a velvet renn faire court gown?
            > A cat has peed on it. My friend is really upset( this is her first big
            > costume project). I am at my wits end on this one.
            >
            > Thanks guys!!!
            > Xochitl

            Hadn't much success with Nature's Miracle. This company, howerver,
            has been in this line of business since long before I was a child
            (don't ask) and I have had excellent results both for stain and odor
            removal:
            http://www.nilodor.com/

            They also sell through some janitorial supply houses &c, plus may well
            respond usefully to an informational request. Use carefully and watch
            for waterspotting.

            john
          • Xochitl C. Small Bear
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
              He sprayed it. It's a acetate velvet that is navy blue.

              > Does anyone have any ideas how to save a velvet renn faire court gown?
              > A cat has peed on it. My friend is really upset( this is her first big
              > costume project). I am at my wits end on this one.
              >
              > Thanks guys!!!
              > Xochitl
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links