Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] need bias tape PDQ!!

  • rebecca bunny flower
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
      Here are a couple of links I've found. The stuff at JKM ribbon looks good,
      but I have never bought stuff from them before myself. I have shopped with
      Manhattan Wardrobe Supply and they were great, but I don't think their page
      has enough description, so I can't tell for absolute sure if it's
      double-fold. They should answer any questions quickly though; I had a great
      experience dealing with them.

      http://www.jkmribbon.com/wrights/bias1.html
      http://www.jkmribbonandtrims.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=2757

      You have to log in with an account on jkmribbon to see the prices (it's a
      free registration), but the 1st page 50 yard reels are $15.30, and the 2nd
      page 500 yard reels are $142.80.

      http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_ribbon_bias.html
      $0.40 / yd

      Hope this helps!
      Rebecca

      On 4/10/06, Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > I need to find "double fold extra wide" BLACK bias tape, re
      > the kind you buy in 3 yd packages from Wrights, but I need
      > it in large quantities. I end up with too much waste when
      > I buy it in the little packages. Anyone know where I can
      > get this? I've looked online and can't seem to find any.
      > I thought I found it at B. Black and Sons, but they sent me
      > regular bias tape in WHITE. I called and got some guy who
      > barely spoke english, and long story short, my order wasn't
      > corrcted or refunded. So anyhow, if anyone has a source
      > for extra wide double fold bias tape, please please please
      > let me know!!
      > All the best,
      > Jessica
      >
      > Visit my website! www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/

    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
        www.greenberg-hammer.com

        Under "Tapes" - 1" wide bias tape - black - less than $20 for 144
        yards. It's not double fold, but if you fold it down the middle and
        press, it's the same as. I keep a spool of the white on hand for
        lots of things....

        HTH,
        Sandy

        At 03:12 PM 4/10/2006, you wrote:
        >Hello all,
        >I need to find "double fold extra wide" BLACK bias tape, re
        >the kind you buy in 3 yd packages from Wrights, but I need
        >it in large quantities. I end up with too much waste when
        >I buy it in the little packages.
        >Jessica

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C.Y. 4971

        Andromeda
      • Curtis Kidd
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
          > From: Brad Gould <bradleyvictor@...>
          > Subject: Re: Newbie to the list
          >
          > Welcome Clay,
          > Well some of my training was in flat pattern drafting
          > and draping. So I'll trade you! Those headdresses sound
          > interesting! But, seriously, if you have any questions
          > just let me know.
          > Brad

          Good to have you here, Clay! I am sure, at some point in
          time, I will have a question that you'll have an answer to
          (I've had some ODD questions that I've asked on here...some
          very common ones, too, and I've been immensely grateful for
          the assistance and patience of the people on this list!
          It's turned into one of my first resorts when I run into a
          problem...)

          Brad, do you have any suggestions for books to look at for
          information on flat pattern work and draping? This is one
          of the areas where I feel I am sorely lacking, and it's
          getting more and more difficult around here to find someone
          who knows what they are doing to teach me. There used to
          be classes available at just about any of the universities
          in the region (there are three within easy driving distance
          of my home, another just a little outside what I'd call
          'easy' but still do-able)...but I've been looking off and
          on for the last four years to see if they've got a
          pattern-drafting class (or an alterations class, or even
          just a general sewing skills class...one of them used to
          have a fashion design program, even; I worked on one of
          their fashion shows as a makeup artist), and I haven't seen
          hide nor hair.

          So, yeah...if you (or anyone else on the list!) have
          suggestions for good places to learn these skills, I'd love
          to hear them! I find myself in an odd place in my career--
          I surprise myself with what I know; but I scare myself with
          everything that I don't know, too. Want to get rid of that
          scare factor as much as possible, y'know?

          Thanks, everyone!!!

          Curtis Kidd

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Karen Kangas-Preston
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006
            My favorite draping book is Draping for Fashion Design by Hilde Jaffe.
            I have an older edition (that was much cheaper than the current price
            of around $70). It is very easy to follow the steps so no other
            instruction is necessary.

            Karen

            > ...do you have any suggestions for books to look at for
            > information on flat pattern work and draping?
            > Curtis Kidd
          • Brad Gould
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14, 2006
              I've been trying to think for the past few days, there were some books that classmates of mine had that looked good. I've always relied on my school notes. I've just searched a bit on amazon, I found a few books that might be the ones that I was thinking of. The author is Winifred Aldrich, I think that these are the books that were recommended to me. I wish that someone would make a website that was just a catalogue or books, every book ever printed listed in there, it would be handy! As for draping, I've never seen a book that I found helpful. I was lucky, I took to draping like a duck to water, I've even gotten to the point where I'll make corset pattterns by draping!
              Sorry, that I couldn't help further. I'll look through my school notes, and see if there is anything there that I could send you. My old professor copyrighted some of the notes that she gave out, so I couldn't give you those, but I think the more basic stuff would be ok. And if you had particular questions, I could help. If you'd like contact me on Yahoo Messenger or Msn.
              Brad

              > Well some of my training was in flat pattern drafting
              > and draping. So I'll trade you! Those headdresses sound
              > interesting! But, seriously, if you have any questions
              > just let me know.
              > Brad

              Good to have you here, Clay! I am sure, at some point in
              time, I will have a question that you'll have an answer to
              (I've had some ODD questions that I've asked on here...some
              very common ones, too, and I've been immensely grateful for
              the assistance and patience of the people on this list!
              It's turned into one of my first resorts when I run into a
              problem...)

              Brad, do you have any suggestions for books to look at for
              information on flat pattern work and draping? This is one
              of the areas where I feel I am sorely lacking, and it's
              getting more and more difficult around here to find someone
              who knows what they are doing to teach me. There used to
              be classes available at just about any of the universities
              in the region (there are three within easy driving distance
              of my home, another just a little outside what I'd call
              'easy' but still do-able)...but I've been looking off and
              on for the last four years to see if they've got a
              pattern-drafting class (or an alterations class, or even
              just a general sewing skills class...one of them used to
              have a fashion design program, even; I worked on one of
              their fashion shows as a makeup artist), and I haven't seen
              hide nor hair.

              So, yeah...if you (or anyone else on the list!) have
              suggestions for good places to learn these skills, I'd love
              to hear them! I find myself in an odd place in my career--
              I surprise myself with what I know; but I scare myself with
              everything that I don't know, too. Want to get rid of that
              scare factor as much as possible, y'know?

              Thanks, everyone!!!

              Curtis Kidd

            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 19, 2006
                Hello!
                Thanks to everyone who replied to my message. shortly
                after I sent it I stumbled upon JMK trims and found what I
                needed. Thanks again for your quick responses, and hope i
                can return the favor!
                All the best,
                Jessica

                http://mail.yahoo.com