  • Clay
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
      Answering a question from below:

      Unless you have a pile of wooden head forms and are going the fiberglass
      route (which is what you'd do for long-run productions), my shortcuts work
      just as well and are a LOT less expensive. These are great for academic
      productions and short-run shows/events/industrials.

      You basically have two options.

      Zucker Feather has a basic plastic headdress base that works pretty well.
      It takes hot glue like a dream, and is really cheap. Line it with felt or
      quilt batting for some padding and "grip" on the performer's head. You will
      probably need to put a chin strap on it because it won't be molded to the
      performer. If you have some "loose spots" when it's on her, you can wedge
      makeup sponges underneath it and it actually holds well. I've even gone
      ahead and glued them to the underside once they are in the right places. It
      also helps if you reinforce the edges with floral wire (see below). That
      let's you bend it to grip their head, to some extent.

      These standard caps DON'T work well, however, with really tall or unweildy
      headdresses, because if the cap doesn't have a death grip on her head, no
      amount of chin strapping or makeup-sponge-wedging will make it stay on. I
      made that mistake with a really big peacock headdress last year... I've had
      the best success using this standard base when I had to kick out a large set
      of fairly simple headdresses for a chorus. Warning - they are kinda small,
      so if your performer has a large head this isn't going to work.

      Your second option is to make a custom cap fitted to the performer's head.
      I love this technique and it works extremely well. The cap fits so snug
      that I've never needed a chin strap, even for the biggest headdresses. I'm
      going to put up a step-by-step webpage for this technique, but it boils down
      to wrapping the performer's head in cling wrap, then essentially covering
      them with strips of wide masking tape. This step is a little tedious, but
      goes quickly. Build it up until it's about 1/8" thick, draw the lines where
      you want to cut it, pop it off her head (literally, there will be suction!)
      and trim.

      Then after a last check, you finish it by: pulling out most of the plastic,
      lining with felt/batting (jewel glue will stick to the plastic that's left),
      then hot gluing floral wire (the kind wrapped in brown paper works the best)
      around the edges. Then give the whole thing a skim coat of hot glue. Now
      you have a cap that will hold it's shape and be a great base for whatever
      treatments you have in mind. When you cover their head with the tape, bring
      it pretty far down the back, and the cap will actually "cup" their head.
      Bottom line, it will have a "death grip" and won't move no matter what they
      do. This works even for the highest/heaviest headdresses. Because of
      sweat, it will, overtime, get soft (the sweat will soak into the masking
      tape) but I have headdresses that are used 5 or 6 times a year that are
      still in good shape years later.

      This all sounds weird, but trust me it works well.

      I have tips on how to do these steps, plus building up a headdress armature
      and foundation, as well as dealing with feathers so you can recycle them
      from project to project and save money. I'll get those on the web site too.

      Regards

      Clay

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 15:54:04 EDT
      > From: Alexadbw@...
      > Subject: Re: Newbie to the list
      >

      > In a message dated 4/9/2006 2:37:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > exdancer@... writes:
      >
      > I've had to teach myself the headdress-making skill because there
      > aren't a lot of resources out there.
      >

      > OK, here's your first question! ; - ) What do you use for head forms? Do
      > you use the really expensive "store-bought" kind, or do you make your
      > own. I've
      > been toying with the idea of making some using the plaster bandage and
      > caulking foam like is used for dressmaker dummies.
      > Alexa

    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
        Hello all,
        I need to find "double fold extra wide" BLACK bias tape, re
        the kind you buy in 3 yd packages from Wrights, but I need
        it in large quantities. I end up with too much waste when
        I buy it in the little packages. Anyone know where I can
        get this? I've looked online and can't seem to find any.
        I thought I found it at B. Black and Sons, but they sent me
        regular bias tape in WHITE. I called and got some guy who
        barely spoke english, and long story short, my order wasn't
        corrcted or refunded. So anyhow, if anyone has a source
        for extra wide double fold bias tape, please please please
        let me know!!
        All the best,
        Jessica

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Steve Austin
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
          I have some I'm not going to need. It's 7/8" black bias tape that we bought
          from Wrights. I've got two 500 yard spools and a partial that I'd have to
          measure to see what's left on it. I also have a full spool of white and a
          partial as well.

          I'll sell it for .50 per yard plus shipping. I can take all the major credit
          cards as well as PayPal.

          ;>
          Steve Austin
          <http://www.austinleatherworks.com/> www.austinleatherworks.com

          Life isn't easy, the world's not a fair place. Only if we don't do something
          to change that. So are you helping?

          _____

          I need to find "double fold extra wide" BLACK bias tape, re
          the kind you buy in 3 yd packages from Wrights, but I need
          it in large quantities. I end up with too much waste when
          I buy it in the little packages. Anyone know where I can
          get this? I've looked online and can't seem to find any.
          I thought I found it at B. Black and Sons, but they sent me
          regular bias tape in WHITE. I called and got some guy who
          barely spoke english, and long story short, my order wasn't
          corrcted or refunded. So anyhow, if anyone has a source
          for extra wide double fold bias tape, please please please
          let me know!!
          All the best,
          Jessica

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TheCostumersManifesto
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto> " on the web.

          e>

          _____

        • rebecca bunny flower
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
            Here are a couple of links I've found. The stuff at JKM ribbon looks good,
            but I have never bought stuff from them before myself. I have shopped with
            Manhattan Wardrobe Supply and they were great, but I don't think their page
            has enough description, so I can't tell for absolute sure if it's
            double-fold. They should answer any questions quickly though; I had a great
            experience dealing with them.

            http://www.jkmribbon.com/wrights/bias1.html
            http://www.jkmribbonandtrims.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=2757

            You have to log in with an account on jkmribbon to see the prices (it's a
            free registration), but the 1st page 50 yard reels are $15.30, and the 2nd
            page 500 yard reels are $142.80.

            http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_ribbon_bias.html
            $0.40 / yd

            Hope this helps!
            Rebecca

            On 4/10/06, Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > I need to find "double fold extra wide" BLACK bias tape, re
            > the kind you buy in 3 yd packages from Wrights, but I need
            > it in large quantities. I end up with too much waste when
            > I buy it in the little packages. Anyone know where I can
            > get this? I've looked online and can't seem to find any.
            > I thought I found it at B. Black and Sons, but they sent me
            > regular bias tape in WHITE. I called and got some guy who
            > barely spoke english, and long story short, my order wasn't
            > corrcted or refunded. So anyhow, if anyone has a source
            > for extra wide double fold bias tape, please please please
            > let me know!!
            > All the best,
            > Jessica
            >
            > Visit my website! www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/

          • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
              www.greenberg-hammer.com

              Under "Tapes" - 1" wide bias tape - black - less than $20 for 144
              yards. It's not double fold, but if you fold it down the middle and
              press, it's the same as. I keep a spool of the white on hand for
              lots of things....

              HTH,
              Sandy

              At 03:12 PM 4/10/2006, you wrote:
              >Hello all,
              >I need to find "double fold extra wide" BLACK bias tape, re
              >the kind you buy in 3 yd packages from Wrights, but I need
              >it in large quantities. I end up with too much waste when
              >I buy it in the little packages.
              >Jessica

              "Those Who Fail To Learn History
              Are Doomed to Repeat It;
              Why They Are Simply Doomed.

              Achemdro'hm
              "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
              -- C.Y. 4971

              Andromeda
            • Curtis Kidd
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
                > From: Brad Gould <bradleyvictor@...>
                > Subject: Re: Newbie to the list
                >
                > Welcome Clay,
                > Well some of my training was in flat pattern drafting
                > and draping. So I'll trade you! Those headdresses sound
                > interesting! But, seriously, if you have any questions
                > just let me know.
                > Brad

                Good to have you here, Clay! I am sure, at some point in
                time, I will have a question that you'll have an answer to
                (I've had some ODD questions that I've asked on here...some
                very common ones, too, and I've been immensely grateful for
                the assistance and patience of the people on this list!
                It's turned into one of my first resorts when I run into a
                problem...)

                Brad, do you have any suggestions for books to look at for
                information on flat pattern work and draping? This is one
                of the areas where I feel I am sorely lacking, and it's
                getting more and more difficult around here to find someone
                who knows what they are doing to teach me. There used to
                be classes available at just about any of the universities
                in the region (there are three within easy driving distance
                of my home, another just a little outside what I'd call
                'easy' but still do-able)...but I've been looking off and
                on for the last four years to see if they've got a
                pattern-drafting class (or an alterations class, or even
                just a general sewing skills class...one of them used to
                have a fashion design program, even; I worked on one of
                their fashion shows as a makeup artist), and I haven't seen
                hide nor hair.

                So, yeah...if you (or anyone else on the list!) have
                suggestions for good places to learn these skills, I'd love
                to hear them! I find myself in an odd place in my career--
                I surprise myself with what I know; but I scare myself with
                everything that I don't know, too. Want to get rid of that
                scare factor as much as possible, y'know?

                Thanks, everyone!!!

                Curtis Kidd

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Karen Kangas-Preston
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006
                  My favorite draping book is Draping for Fashion Design by Hilde Jaffe.
                  I have an older edition (that was much cheaper than the current price
                  of around $70). It is very easy to follow the steps so no other
                  instruction is necessary.

                  Karen

                  > ...do you have any suggestions for books to look at for
                  > information on flat pattern work and draping?
                  > Curtis Kidd
                • Brad Gould
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 14, 2006
                    I've been trying to think for the past few days, there were some books that classmates of mine had that looked good. I've always relied on my school notes. I've just searched a bit on amazon, I found a few books that might be the ones that I was thinking of. The author is Winifred Aldrich, I think that these are the books that were recommended to me. I wish that someone would make a website that was just a catalogue or books, every book ever printed listed in there, it would be handy! As for draping, I've never seen a book that I found helpful. I was lucky, I took to draping like a duck to water, I've even gotten to the point where I'll make corset pattterns by draping!
                    Sorry, that I couldn't help further. I'll look through my school notes, and see if there is anything there that I could send you. My old professor copyrighted some of the notes that she gave out, so I couldn't give you those, but I think the more basic stuff would be ok. And if you had particular questions, I could help. If you'd like contact me on Yahoo Messenger or Msn.
                    Brad

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 19, 2006
                      Hello!
                      Thanks to everyone who replied to my message. shortly
                      after I sent it I stumbled upon JMK trims and found what I
                      needed. Thanks again for your quick responses, and hope i
                      can return the favor!
                      All the best,
                      Jessica

                      http://mail.yahoo.com