Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Checking armor through on an airline

  • rebecca bunny flower
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 10 9:28 AM
      If you have it well-packed in a trunk, I don't see why you couldn't check
      it... I've seen people at the airport checking in with surfboards and
      hunting rifles, which are ok as long as they're packed safely. I know that
      some Renfest and SCA people with armor have to fly places, right? If it's
      excessively bulky you might have to pay an extra baggage fee.

      Rebecca

      On 4/10/06, catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

      > Anybody gone to a Costume Con with armor? My niece wants me to build
      > her a set for a gig in August.Something like:
      > http://privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/miniature_pages/sorscha.ht
      > ml I suggested vacuform stuff ala Tobin Lakes Studio like:
      > http://www.tobinslake.com/studios/ because I figure,if you have to
      > wear it all evening...She says she doesn't think she can check it on
      > the plane if it's big metal pieces.What say all? Elizabeth
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Josephine Marchetti
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 10 9:32 AM
        Oh my goodness the second site is the most facinating
        site I have seen in a long time. I couldnt get the
        first one. Thank you so much for the second one. the
        armor was wonderful.

        Jo

        --- catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

        > Anybody gone to a Costume Con with armor? My niece
        > wants me to build
        > her a set for a gig in August.Something like:

        http://privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/miniature_pages/sorscha.ht
        > ml I suggested vacuform stuff ala Tobin Lakes
        > Studio like:
        > http://www.tobinslake.com/studios/ because I
        > figure,if you have to
        > wear it all evening...She says she doesn't think she
        > can check it on
        > the plane if it's big metal pieces.What say all?
        > Elizabeth

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 10 9:21 PM
          Fed Ex Ground is your friend.

          With 30% of checked luggage lost last year, and horror stories of
          people who have had stuff stolen or broken, I won't check anything
          but basic clothes anymore. When I absolutely HAVE to fly, of course
          - I much prefer driving to anyplace if I have the time.

          Last year we shipped 4 large boxes of costume pieces to an event
          (Nebraska to New Jersey). The weight ranged from 33 lbs. to 15
          lbs. The lot got there in under 3 days and cost around $80. UPS
          wanted $120 to send it all, and couldn't guarantee delivery in less
          than a week. And with Fed Ex and Kinko's merging, there's a Fed Ex
          almost everywhere, open late.

          Sandy

          At 11:07 AM 4/10/2006, you wrote:
          >Anybody gone to a Costume Con with armor? My niece wants me to build
          >her a set for a gig in August. She says she doesn't think she can
          >check it on the plane if it's big metal pieces.What say all? Elizabeth

          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed.

          Achemdro'hm
          "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          -- C.Y. 4971

          Andromeda
        • Aurora Celeste
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 11 11:24 AM
            On 4/10/06, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

            > Fed Ex Ground is your friend.
            >
            > With 30% of checked luggage lost last year, and horror stories of
            > people who have had stuff stolen or broken, I won't check anything
            > but basic clothes anymore. When I absolutely HAVE to fly, of course
            > - I much prefer driving to anyplace if I have the time.
            >
            > Last year we shipped 4 large boxes of costume pieces to an event
            > (Nebraska to New Jersey). The weight ranged from 33 lbs. to 15
            > lbs. The lot got there in under 3 days and cost around $80. UPS
            > wanted $120 to send it all, and couldn't guarantee delivery in less
            > than a week. And with Fed Ex and Kinko's merging, there's a Fed Ex
            > almost everywhere, open late.
            >
            > Sandy

            A lesson with these things is to weigh it yourself and check prices at
            websites. A generic mailing store will often markup shipping prices to
            profit themselves, but with a computer you can print out the cost and even
            pay online and drop off the package to avoid the markup fees. I usually
            check out both UPS and Fed Ex, and they're usually pretty close in price if
            you do it by weight online.

            Aurora

          • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 11 7:09 PM
              At 01:24 PM 4/11/2006, you wrote:
              >On 4/10/06, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Fed Ex Ground is your friend.
              > >
              > > Last year we shipped 4 large boxes of costume pieces to an event
              > > (Nebraska to New Jersey). The weight ranged from 33 lbs. to 15
              > > lbs. The lot got there in under 3 days and cost around
              > $80. UPS wanted $120 to send it all, and couldn't guarantee
              > delivery in less than a week. And with Fed Ex and Kinko's merging,
              > there's a Fed Ex almost everywhere, open late.
              > >
              > > Sandy
              > >

              >A lesson with these things is to weigh it yourself and check prices
              >at websites. A generic mailing store will often markup shipping
              >prices to profit themselves, but with a computer you can print out
              >the cost and even pay online and drop off the package to avoid the
              >markup fees. I usually check out both UPS and Fed Ex, and they're
              >usually pretty close in price if you do it by weight online.
              >
              >Aurora

              That price difference was discovered by checking their websites. And
              Kinko's doesn't charge extra for FedEx now because they're one
              company. It was handy because there's a Kinko's less than a block
              from where hubby works, and we didn't have to try and get to the
              FedEx office before they closed.

              Sandy

              "Those Who Fail To Learn History
              Are Doomed to Repeat It;
              Why They Are Simply Doomed.

              Achemdro'hm
              "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
              -- C.Y. 4971

              Andromeda
            • K Murphy
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 11 8:58 PM
                Rebecca: Totally off topic, but are you any relation to Anita Bunny, the costumer?

                I worked with her about 17 years ago and lost track of her when I moved to Chicago.

                rebecca bunny flower <bunnyflower@...>

              • Karen Patrick
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 12 3:11 PM
                  I figured I could add in my 2 Cents worth on this one. My "day job" is at a
                  packaging and shipping store. We ship out both UPS & FedEx. The reason why
                  FedEx was probably cheaper on the boxes you shipped is that on XL (what they
                  call double oversize, between 108-130 length + girth) boxes, Fed Ex has a
                  lower requirement. UPS basicly charges for 70lbs and FedEx charges for
                  50lbs (unless the box weighs more than that). At least at our store, UPS
                  and FedEx are about the same price on most other shipments. If you need to
                  save a little bit on your shipment, ship to a buisness (your hotel for
                  exapmle) rather than a residence, it will save you a few dollars on each
                  box.
                  -Karen

                  > Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:21:17 -0500
                  > From: Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...>
                  >Subject: Re: Checking armor through on an airline
                  >
                  >Fed Ex Ground is your friend.
                  >
                  >With 30% of checked luggage lost last year, and horror stories of
                  >people who have had stuff stolen or broken, I won't check anything
                  >but basic clothes anymore. When I absolutely HAVE to fly, of course
                  >- I much prefer driving to anyplace if I have the time.
                  >
                  >Last year we shipped 4 large boxes of costume pieces to an event
                  >(Nebraska to New Jersey). The weight ranged from 33 lbs. to 15
                  >lbs. The lot got there in under 3 days and cost around $80. UPS
                  >wanted $120 to send it all, and couldn't guarantee delivery in less
                  >than a week. And with Fed Ex and Kinko's merging, there's a Fed Ex
                  >almost everywhere, open late.
                  >
                  >Sandy
                • ~lisa.s
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 12 3:37 PM
                    >> Fed Ex Ground is your friend.

                    Another bit of warning from a friend's bitter expereince...make sure the
                    "to" drop point is close to where you're staying--especially if you
                    won't have access to a car. When my friend arrived, he found the pick-up
                    point a very expensive taxi ride away. (I know there's lots of Kinkos
                    around, but the nearest one to the city where I live about 60 miles)
                    Often hotels/motels will allow for package drop-off and hold, if
                    arranged in advance. Especially if the event is being held there.

                    One horror story about checked luggage: When I was an undergrad, a grad
                    student went off on a job interview and checked his portfolio--which was
                    never seen again. The thought of that still makes me cringe.

                    ~lisa.s
                    --
                    * llsturts@...
                  • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 12 9:26 PM
                      But check with them first - many large hotels in urban areas are now
                      charging a fee to receive boxes - some even charge for letters. In
                      2000, we were staying at the convention hotel. We were waiting for
                      the final bit we had ordered for a costume, that hadn't been shipped
                      in time. The sending company was very accommodating, in changing the
                      ship location to the hotel. However, the hotel charged us $5 to
                      "receive" the package (which was a box about a 3" cube, about 2 oz.
                      weight). The dealers/booksellers who were having publishers ship
                      stock to the hotel, were stuck paying up to $250 or more, depending on weight.

                      Sandy