Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Newbie to the list

  • Evan Minney
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
      I am Also a costume designer in the fantastic world of drag. I have found
      the best way to make a head dress is to put a plastic shopping bag over the
      persons head then rapping in tight in duck tape. It almost suctions to the
      head You don¹t have to worry about that head dress going anywhere. I never
      even have to use a chin strap and it¹s soo !!!! Cheap!!!!!!!!!! Attach
      styro foam with screws and wire for a base and build out from there. Hope
      this helps. I know it might not be the most conventional way but try it
      you¹ll love it!

    • Alexadbw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
        In a message dated 4/10/2006 10:19:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        eminney@... writes:

        I have the best way to make a head dress is to put a plastic shopping bag
        over the
        persons head then rapping in tight in duck tape. It almost suctions to the
        head You don¹t have to worry about that head dress going anywhere.

        Thanks for the info. It does give me something to think about. That is
        similar to making a duct tape double, I guess! I mostly do costumes for Church
        productions...Not very similar to your business, but I WILL have to share
        this with my good friend who is, himself a regular performer in a drag show.
        Don't even try to wrap your mind around that one! LOL.(our friendship I mean!)

        Now that I think of it, this technique might be just what I need to do
        turbans without having to wrap them each time they are worn, although there are
        many sites giving very good instructions on wrapping authentic turbans.
        HMMMMM and the next time I need to do Roman helmets.....the applications are
        endless!

        Thanks again, Alexa

      • K Murphy
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2006
          Hey, Clay:

          Welcome to the CM!

          Do you have any pictures of those airbrushed chiffon wigs? How do you put them together?

          Do you by any chance know Lindsey Cunningham? (Spotlight Fashions) He's out your way and makes killer Vegas-style skullcaps. They are constructed of several layers of heavy buckram -- sized, wired, and lined with felt. They come in a number of styles in all head sizes, with a fabulous keyhole opening CB so you can further customize the fit by stitching heavy elastic across the base of the opening. They are so solid you can attach anything to them (pop-rivet some PVC pipe, anyone?) And they stay on without a chin strap (unless your performing cartwheels or something....)

          I found him here online, when I posted a question about where to buy a nice solid base for some headpieces. This is a great group!

          Kate

          Clay Sales <exdancer@...> wrote:
          My name is Clay and I'm in Seattle. I'm a retired musical theatre
          dancer who's ended up doing quite a bit of costuming as a hobby,
          particularly for drag queens. I specialize in showgirl outfits,
          complete with monstrous headdresses and airbrushed chiffon wings.

          I've had to teach myself the headdress-making skill because there
          aren't a lot of resources out there. Always willing to answer
          questions and provide advice in that area - it's hard won knowledge.
          I've come across and/or figured out some great and really inexpensive
          shortcuts for making headdresses that fit well and stay on the
          performer's head no matter what they do. They won't hold up to 8
          shows a week for months on end (you need fiberglass and welded
          armatures for that), but for short runs they hold up extremely well
          and are comfortable for performers not used to the balancing act involved.

          Looking forward to learning from the group. I'm currently teaching
          myself flat patterning and draping.

          Regards

          Clay

        • balazssavelli
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 14, 2006
            Well, Clay, here is a question for you (see, I promised they will
            come!)

            I want to make an Egyptian bird headdress for my Amneris.
            You know, the bird's neck and head standing up on the forhead and wings
            around the sides of the head.
            Should look like metal and stones, and go down all around the head.
            I want a cape coming down as the continuation of the headpiece, made
            like feathers, so the whole image is of like a huge bird.
            Now what material would you use to make the headpiece?
            Can't br too heavy, but rigid.
            Thanks for any ideas.