Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Overshadowing costumes...

  • Julia Trimarco
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2006
      From: "catslave54" <zimmermanel@...>
      > Subject: When the costumes overshadow the rest of the
      > production...I feel as if my costumes overshadow the rest of the show...but I feel like they were the ONLY thing about this show TO compliment...Has anyone else ever had this problem? Elizabeth

      I don't have personal experience of this as the designer, but many times as a member of the costuming staff. I have had friends compliment shows I worked on by saying, "The costumes were fabulous!" I take the compliments graciously, but I know how it feels to have put my best work into a show that lacked in many other areas outside of my control.

      But you can't let it get you too down, and certainly don't ever let the worry of that in the future make you compromise the quality of your work. If a production is not acted nor directed well, if the story or writing itself is not a good choice, that is the fault of others, and not your concern.

      On the other hand, I have seen costumes upstage otherwise perfectly good productions. The only way to know when to pull back is to attend as many rehearsals and creative team meetings as possible, or send an assistant to take notes. Voice any concerns during the process. If it's too late, apply what you've learned to your next project (and perhaps think twice before working with the same team again -- and if you do decide to work with the director -- or whoever -- again, voice your past concerns at the first opportunity).

      -Julia