Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Newbie to the list

  • Alexadbw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
      In a message dated 4/9/2006 2:37:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      exdancer@... writes:

      I've had to teach myself the headdress-making skill because there
      aren't a lot of resources out there.

      OK, here's your first question! ; - ) What do you use for head forms? Do
      you use the really expensive "store-bought" kind, or do you make your own. I've
      been toying with the idea of making some using the plaster bandage and
      caulking foam like is used for dressmaker dummies.
      Alexa

    • balazssavelli
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
        -Clay you sweatheart!
        I'm sure many of us will have questions for you!
        But, we all want to welcome you first.
      • Evan Minney
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
          I am Also a costume designer in the fantastic world of drag. I have found
          the best way to make a head dress is to put a plastic shopping bag over the
          persons head then rapping in tight in duck tape. It almost suctions to the
          head You don¹t have to worry about that head dress going anywhere. I never
          even have to use a chin strap and it¹s soo !!!! Cheap!!!!!!!!!! Attach
          styro foam with screws and wire for a base and build out from there. Hope
          this helps. I know it might not be the most conventional way but try it
          you¹ll love it!

        • Alexadbw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
            In a message dated 4/10/2006 10:19:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            eminney@... writes:

            I have the best way to make a head dress is to put a plastic shopping bag
            over the
            persons head then rapping in tight in duck tape. It almost suctions to the
            head You don¹t have to worry about that head dress going anywhere.

            Thanks for the info. It does give me something to think about. That is
            similar to making a duct tape double, I guess! I mostly do costumes for Church
            productions...Not very similar to your business, but I WILL have to share
            this with my good friend who is, himself a regular performer in a drag show.
            Don't even try to wrap your mind around that one! LOL.(our friendship I mean!)

            Now that I think of it, this technique might be just what I need to do
            turbans without having to wrap them each time they are worn, although there are
            many sites giving very good instructions on wrapping authentic turbans.
            HMMMMM and the next time I need to do Roman helmets.....the applications are
            endless!

            Thanks again, Alexa

          • K Murphy
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 11, 2006
              Hey, Clay:

              Welcome to the CM!

              Do you have any pictures of those airbrushed chiffon wigs? How do you put them together?

              Do you by any chance know Lindsey Cunningham? (Spotlight Fashions) He's out your way and makes killer Vegas-style skullcaps. They are constructed of several layers of heavy buckram -- sized, wired, and lined with felt. They come in a number of styles in all head sizes, with a fabulous keyhole opening CB so you can further customize the fit by stitching heavy elastic across the base of the opening. They are so solid you can attach anything to them (pop-rivet some PVC pipe, anyone?) And they stay on without a chin strap (unless your performing cartwheels or something....)

              I found him here online, when I posted a question about where to buy a nice solid base for some headpieces. This is a great group!

              Kate

              Clay Sales <exdancer@...> wrote:
              My name is Clay and I'm in Seattle. I'm a retired musical theatre
              dancer who's ended up doing quite a bit of costuming as a hobby,
              particularly for drag queens. I specialize in showgirl outfits,
              complete with monstrous headdresses and airbrushed chiffon wings.

              I've had to teach myself the headdress-making skill because there
              aren't a lot of resources out there. Always willing to answer
              questions and provide advice in that area - it's hard won knowledge.
              I've come across and/or figured out some great and really inexpensive
              shortcuts for making headdresses that fit well and stay on the
              performer's head no matter what they do. They won't hold up to 8
              shows a week for months on end (you need fiberglass and welded
              armatures for that), but for short runs they hold up extremely well
              and are comfortable for performers not used to the balancing act involved.

              Looking forward to learning from the group. I'm currently teaching
              myself flat patterning and draping.

              Regards

              Clay

            • balazssavelli
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 14, 2006
                Well, Clay, here is a question for you (see, I promised they will
                come!)

                I want to make an Egyptian bird headdress for my Amneris.
                You know, the bird's neck and head standing up on the forhead and wings
                around the sides of the head.
                Should look like metal and stones, and go down all around the head.
                I want a cape coming down as the continuation of the headpiece, made
                like feathers, so the whole image is of like a huge bird.
                Now what material would you use to make the headpiece?
                Can't br too heavy, but rigid.
                Thanks for any ideas.