Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Newbie to the list

  • Brad Gould
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
      Welcome Clay,
      Well some of my training was in flat pattern drafting and draping. So I'll trade you! Those headdresses sound interesting! But, seriously, if you have any questions just let me know.
      Brad

      Clay Sales <exdancer@...> wrote:
      My name is Clay and I'm in Seattle. I'm a retired musical theatre
      dancer who's ended up doing quite a bit of costuming as a hobby,
      particularly for drag queens. I specialize in showgirl outfits,
      complete with monstrous headdresses and airbrushed chiffon wings.

      I've had to teach myself the headdress-making skill because there
      aren't a lot of resources out there. Always willing to answer
      questions and provide advice in that area - it's hard won knowledge.
      I've come across and/or figured out some great and really inexpensive
      shortcuts for making headdresses that fit well and stay on the
      performer's head no matter what they do. They won't hold up to 8
      shows a week for months on end (you need fiberglass and welded
      armatures for that), but for short runs they hold up extremely well
      and are comfortable for performers not used to the balancing act involved.

      Looking forward to learning from the group. I'm currently teaching
      myself flat patterning and draping.

      Regards

      Clay

      Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
        In a message dated 4/9/2006 2:37:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        exdancer@... writes:

        I've had to teach myself the headdress-making skill because there
        aren't a lot of resources out there.

        OK, here's your first question! ; - ) What do you use for head forms? Do
        you use the really expensive "store-bought" kind, or do you make your own. I've
        been toying with the idea of making some using the plaster bandage and
        caulking foam like is used for dressmaker dummies.
        Alexa

      • balazssavelli
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
          -Clay you sweatheart!
          I'm sure many of us will have questions for you!
          But, we all want to welcome you first.
        • Evan Minney
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
            I am Also a costume designer in the fantastic world of drag. I have found
            the best way to make a head dress is to put a plastic shopping bag over the
            persons head then rapping in tight in duck tape. It almost suctions to the
            head You don¹t have to worry about that head dress going anywhere. I never
            even have to use a chin strap and it¹s soo !!!! Cheap!!!!!!!!!! Attach
            styro foam with screws and wire for a base and build out from there. Hope
            this helps. I know it might not be the most conventional way but try it
            you¹ll love it!

          • Alexadbw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
              In a message dated 4/10/2006 10:19:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              eminney@... writes:

              I have the best way to make a head dress is to put a plastic shopping bag
              over the
              persons head then rapping in tight in duck tape. It almost suctions to the
              head You don¹t have to worry about that head dress going anywhere.

              Thanks for the info. It does give me something to think about. That is
              similar to making a duct tape double, I guess! I mostly do costumes for Church
              productions...Not very similar to your business, but I WILL have to share
              this with my good friend who is, himself a regular performer in a drag show.
              Don't even try to wrap your mind around that one! LOL.(our friendship I mean!)

              Now that I think of it, this technique might be just what I need to do
              turbans without having to wrap them each time they are worn, although there are
              many sites giving very good instructions on wrapping authentic turbans.
              HMMMMM and the next time I need to do Roman helmets.....the applications are
              endless!

              Thanks again, Alexa

            • K Murphy
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 11, 2006
                Hey, Clay:

                Welcome to the CM!

                Do you have any pictures of those airbrushed chiffon wigs? How do you put them together?

                Do you by any chance know Lindsey Cunningham? (Spotlight Fashions) He's out your way and makes killer Vegas-style skullcaps. They are constructed of several layers of heavy buckram -- sized, wired, and lined with felt. They come in a number of styles in all head sizes, with a fabulous keyhole opening CB so you can further customize the fit by stitching heavy elastic across the base of the opening. They are so solid you can attach anything to them (pop-rivet some PVC pipe, anyone?) And they stay on without a chin strap (unless your performing cartwheels or something....)

                I found him here online, when I posted a question about where to buy a nice solid base for some headpieces. This is a great group!

                Kate

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 14, 2006
                  Well, Clay, here is a question for you (see, I promised they will
                  come!)

                  I want to make an Egyptian bird headdress for my Amneris.
                  You know, the bird's neck and head standing up on the forhead and wings
                  around the sides of the head.
                  Should look like metal and stones, and go down all around the head.
                  I want a cape coming down as the continuation of the headpiece, made
                  like feathers, so the whole image is of like a huge bird.
                  Now what material would you use to make the headpiece?
                  Can't br too heavy, but rigid.
                  Thanks for any ideas.