How to make/wear a Thai "pha nung" or "jong krabane"

  • LDiesslin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
      I am costuming a production of "The King and I." It's a community
      theatre production but I am trying to be as accurate as possible. Can
      anyone give me instructions for putting on a pha nung? I've been
      searching and only can find general instructions such as "cloth
      gathered together and threaded between the legs." How much fabric is
      needed? Thanks for your help! Lisa
    • metholhill
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2006
        The pha nung, a rectangular pierce of material about one metre wide
        and three to four metres long, was popular amongst both men and
        women. It could be worn in two different styles; as a pha nungchung
        kraen style, the garment was tied in the front , knotted at waist,
        then twisted from the top edge to the bottom edge to form to tail
        which was field between the legs and tucked into the waist at back.
        It was held in place with the aid of a belt or loincloth. In the
        chip-na-nang style the garment was wrapped around the lower body ,
        gathered in front with both end skillfully folded into pleats and
        fastened with a belt

        Hope this helps.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "LDiesslin"
        <LDiesslin@...> wrote:

        > I am costuming a production of "The King and I." It's a community
        > theatre production but I am trying to be as accurate as possible.
        Can
        > anyone give me instructions for putting on a pha nung? I've been
        > searching and only can find general instructions such as "cloth
        > gathered together and threaded between the legs." How much fabric
        is
        > needed? Thanks for your help! Lisa

      • balazssavelli
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7 2:54 PM
          <LDiesslin@...> wrote:

          > I am costuming a production of "The King and I." It's a community
          > theatre production but I am trying to be as accurate as possible.
          Can
          > anyone give me instructions for putting on a pha nung? I've been
          > searching and only can find general instructions such as "cloth
          > gathered together and threaded between the legs." How much fabric is
          > needed? Thanks for your help! Lisa

          I did King & I last year and ended up making them as pants (kind of).
          The look was accurate but didn't have to go through the trouble putting
          them on!
          With a bunch of kids, lots of changes it is almost impossible.
          Cut the front and back separate, like a big triangle, pleated the top
          and arranged them on the bodies until got the right look.
          Finally put a wide waistband on. It really works nicely and saves a lot
          of headache during the run.
        • Lisa Diesslin
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8 8:47 AM
            That's a great suggestion - thanks so much!

            <LDiesslin@...> wrote:

            > I am costuming a production of "The King and I." It's a community
            > theatre production but I am trying to be as accurate as possible.
            Can
            > anyone give me instructions for putting on a pha nung? I've been
            > searching and only can find general instructions such as "cloth
            > gathered together and threaded between the legs." How much fabric is
            > needed? Thanks for your help! Lisa

            I did King & I last year and ended up making them as pants (kind of).
            The look was accurate but didn't have to go through the trouble putting
            them on!
            With a bunch of kids, lots of changes it is almost impossible.
            Cut the front and back separate, like a big triangle, pleated the top
            and arranged them on the bodies until got the right look.
            Finally put a wide waistband on. It really works nicely and saves a lot
            of headache during the run.

            <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

            SPONSORED LINKS Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| --><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->
            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->