Various threads

  • ~lisa.s
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2006
      Curtis Kidd wrote

      > I worked on Beauty and the Beast last year for a high school in the
      > area...
      >
      > But I had a blast.

      For several years I worked with a friend who taught 4th and 5th grade.
      (it was a "new" theory of teaching middle school, where a teacher would
      have the same students for two years) He was very active in the local
      community theatre scene and wanted to bring that love to his students.
      So winter semester of 4th grade, he'd do a unit on what theater was and
      I'd come in and talk about design. Then the students would select a kid
      lit story and script it. The next year, we'd produce the play. We did
      "Peter Pan", "Wizard of Oz", "Alice" among others. The high school art
      teacher and students saw the set done and I did costumes. The kids were
      so gung-ho about the productions, and so were the parents.

      It was great fun.

      Then Curtis wrote:

      > "I tell people, all the time, one of the biggest challenges
      > of working in theater (especially in props, but a lot of
      > times in costumes, and even sets, as well) is developing
      > the skill of seeing the POTENTIAL uses of stuff, as opposed
      > to its intended use."

      With my costume design students, I have a standing weekly assignment to
      do just that. They have to bring in something, an unusual material or
      technique that will make me say "That's cool!"

      To which Kate Murphy wrote:

      > What's the weirdest thing you ever used to make a costume piece?

      One of the more unusual things was the student who strung together the
      spacers used when laying ceramic tile, which are shaped like a cross, to
      make a chain mail shirt.

      ~lisa.s
      --
      * llsturts@...