Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Recommendation for 14th Century Russia Patterns

  • Kathy Hannon (no longer Pawl)
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 9 4:40 AM
      I haven't checked out the Folkwear Patterns site lately but they usually have a good selection of ethnic patterns that are easy to use and can be adapted in a variety of ways. I - me personally - would stay away from Past Patterns, I've had nothing but trouble with those. BUT as I say that is MY opinion. I know a few people who swear by them. And recently Butterick and Simplicity have started to carry fairly decent historical and costume patterns.

      I'd check with the other gamers - see what they have and where they got it.I've only just started with gaming and I know that costuming for them is very different than costuming for a production or even a RennFaire.

      queenortart <queenortart@...> wrote:
      I have been cast as a Russian princess in 1382, for a game which is in
      August. I've spent some time today looking at pattern sites both in the UK
      and the USA and I feel like my eyes are going to explode.

      Can any of you give me recommendations for for pattern sellers, who have a
      website that's really useable, or indeed for patterns you have used in the
      past, that would suit someone with moderately good sewing skills for both
      women of a large economy size (24 or thereabouts) and for their associated
      Father in game, which are vaguely the right historical period.

      I am not aiming for absolute authenticity, rather something that suits my
      ideas, and would be best served by a universal pattern with lots of options
      for sleeves and things so I can faff about and bring something together.

      TIA
      Sue

      =^.^=

      "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
      It would improve the man,
      but it would deteriorate the cat."
      Mark Twain
      Please note that Mark Twain specified
      that the cross would improve the MAN,
      no need to include women in that.
      Women and cats are perfect as is.

    • Toker, Sue (US SSA)
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 9 6:04 AM
        >>I haven't checked out the Folkwear Patterns site lately but they
        usually have a good
        >>selection of ethnic patterns that are easy to use and can be adapted
        in a variety of
        >>ways. I - me personally - would stay away from Past Patterns,

        When deciding to buy any Historical pattern I like to check the Pattern
        review at
        The Greater Bay Costumer Guild. It is sort of the "Consumer's Report"
        on historical patterns and a gift to costuming! Below is the links to
        the home site and the review site.

        http://www.gbacg.org/

        http://www.gbacg.org/Patterns/index.html

        Susan
      • Spidra Webster
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 9 7:08 AM
          This SCAer is probably someone to ask:

          http://members.aol.com/LiudmilaV/KOKOSHNIK.htm
        • Michele Milunas
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 17 5:33 AM
            I am partly of Scandinavian descent myself and have been wanting to make a bunad also. If you find out if there is a commercially made pattern for one, please let me know too. I am trying to piece one together from a medieval skirt pattern and a modern vest pattern.

            Thanks,
            Michele

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 18 1:13 PM
              I finally found them here:

              http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID5024187DD397095-Apparel/Nordic-
              Patterns.aspx?page=1

              I will post my progress on this to the list as I proceed with this
              project. Not sure how soon, though- I do have until December!

              Denise in WI
              www.homepage.mac.com/leafbyniggle/

            • Michele Milunas
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 18 6:12 PM
                Oh, wow! Thank you so much, Denise, for posting this link! I will be ordering mine soon and will keep you posted on my progress too:-))

                Michele in PA
                I will post my progress on this to the list as I proceed with this
                project. Not sure how soon, though- I do have until December!

                Denise in WI
                www.homepage.mac.com/leafbyniggle/

                Performing arts center

              • Michele Milunas
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 19 8:47 AM
                  Oh, I meant to ask: how do you pronounce "bunad"? BUN-ad or Bun-AD?

                  Michele

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 19 10:01 AM
                    i have heard it as boon-AHD, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is
                    the correct pronunciation.

                    Denise

                    On Mar 19, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Michele Milunas wrote:

                    > Oh, I meant to ask: how do you pronounce "bunad"? BUN-ad or Bun-AD?
                    >
                    > Michele

                  • Spidra Webster
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 19 10:26 AM
                      Emphasis on the first syllable.

                      On Mar 19, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Michele Milunas wrote:

                      > Oh, I meant to ask: how do you pronounce "bunad"? BUN-ad or Bun-AD?
                      >
                      > Michele

                      > Spidra Webster
                      http://www.spidra.com
                    • Michele Milunas
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 19 6:14 PM
                        "Takk", Denise and Spidra!

                        Michele

                        On Mar 19, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Michele Milunas wrote:

                        > Oh, I meant to ask: how do you pronounce "bunad"? BUN-ad or Bun-AD?
                        >
                        > Michele

                        > Spidra Webster
                        http://www.spidra.com

                        Performing arts center

                      • Cynthia Spilsted
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 13, 2007
                          You can get a pattern direct from Norway, or you can google for Scandinavian Folk Costume patterns. If you want to make it closer to your district of Norway, then look on the Husfliden website to see the colours and decorations. Our Sons of Norway lodge has made 'fantasy' bunads this year - that is, not of any district....
                          Good luck!
                          C.

                          The Christiansens <rtc@...> wrote:
                          I am of Norwegian descent, and will also be heading up the church Jul
                          Fest bazaar and craft sale this December. I would like to make myself
                          a bunad (norwegian folk costume) to wear for the event. I have visited
                          many sites, and looked at many pictures. I was wondering if such a
                          thing exists as a pattern to make one? I have Margo's Elizabethan
                          patterns, and thought that some of the vests looked similar to a
                          split-skirt bodice.

                          Can anyone help? I have just about google-d myself into a spin!

                          Denise in WI

                          Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

                        • Bo Persson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 14, 2007
                            Maybe I can help? I am not Norwegian but Swedish. I attended a
                            conference in Oslo a month ago. A man called Bjørn Sverre Hol Haugen
                            from The National Council for Folk Costumes gave a paper about
                            Norwegian Bunad. I would guess he may be able to help you, or he can
                            tell you who to contact.
                            Email me private and I will give you his email address.
                            Good luck.
                            Bo
                            Bo Persson, M.A.
                            Independent Fashion Researcher
                            bo_persson@...
                            Skype name: bossep64
                            http://bopersson64.wordpress.com/
                            http://culturedevelopmentandresearch-cedar.freehomepage.com/
                            http://boperssonsblogg.blogspot.com/
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/76021273@N00/
                            http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/a?i=0sgcbH0TLC

                            14 jun 2007 kl. 06.27 skrev Cynthia Spilsted:

                            > You can get a pattern direct from Norway, or you can google for
                            > Scandinavian Folk Costume patterns. If you want to make it closer
                            > to your district of Norway, then look on the Husfliden website to
                            > see the colours and decorations. Our Sons of Norway lodge has made
                            > 'fantasy' bunads this year - that is, not of any district....
                            > Good luck!
                            > C.
                            >
                            > The Christiansens <rtc@...> wrote:
                            > I am of Norwegian descent, and will also be heading up the church Jul
                            > Fest bazaar and craft sale this December. I would like to make myself
                            > a bunad (norwegian folk costume) to wear for the event. I have visited
                            > many sites, and looked at many pictures. I was wondering if such a
                            > thing exists as a pattern to make one? I have Margo's Elizabethan
                            > patterns, and thought that some of the vests looked similar to a
                            > split-skirt bodice.
                            >
                            > Can anyone help? I have just about google-d myself into a spin!
                            >
                            > Denise in WI

                            > Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing
                            > arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

                          • Ms Kristine Hudson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 14, 2007
                              Hi there!
                              My brother lives in Norway, and while visiting him
                              this past February, I picked up some Norwegian
                              patterns and a pattern catalog. The Catalog is
                              Stoff & Stil.<www.stoffogstil.no> There are
                              traditional festival dress patterns available. (There,
                              in Norway, you have to be certified to be considered
                              worthy enough to construct the official dress for
                              festivals, Verry protective of their heritage) <G> ;-D

                              Hope this helps!;-D
                              Kristine

                              http://tv.yahoo.com/