Norwegian bunad pattern

  • The Christiansens
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8 10:41 AM
      I am of Norwegian descent, and will also be heading up the church Jul
      Fest bazaar and craft sale this December. I would like to make myself
      a bunad (norwegian folk costume) to wear for the event. I have visited
      many sites, and looked at many pictures. I was wondering if such a
      thing exists as a pattern to make one? I have Margo's Elizabethan
      patterns, and thought that some of the vests looked similar to a
      split-skirt bodice.

      Can anyone help? I have just about google-d myself into a spin!

      Denise in WI
    • Kathy Hannon (no longer Pawl)
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 9 4:40 AM
        I haven't checked out the Folkwear Patterns site lately but they usually have a good selection of ethnic patterns that are easy to use and can be adapted in a variety of ways. I - me personally - would stay away from Past Patterns, I've had nothing but trouble with those. BUT as I say that is MY opinion. I know a few people who swear by them. And recently Butterick and Simplicity have started to carry fairly decent historical and costume patterns.

        I'd check with the other gamers - see what they have and where they got it.I've only just started with gaming and I know that costuming for them is very different than costuming for a production or even a RennFaire.

        queenortart <queenortart@...> wrote:
        I have been cast as a Russian princess in 1382, for a game which is in
        August. I've spent some time today looking at pattern sites both in the UK
        and the USA and I feel like my eyes are going to explode.

        Can any of you give me recommendations for for pattern sellers, who have a
        website that's really useable, or indeed for patterns you have used in the
        past, that would suit someone with moderately good sewing skills for both
        women of a large economy size (24 or thereabouts) and for their associated
        Father in game, which are vaguely the right historical period.

        I am not aiming for absolute authenticity, rather something that suits my
        ideas, and would be best served by a universal pattern with lots of options
        for sleeves and things so I can faff about and bring something together.

        TIA
        Sue

        =^.^=

        "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
        It would improve the man,
        but it would deteriorate the cat."
        Mark Twain
        Please note that Mark Twain specified
        that the cross would improve the MAN,
        no need to include women in that.
        Women and cats are perfect as is.

      • Toker, Sue (US SSA)
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 9 6:04 AM
          >>I haven't checked out the Folkwear Patterns site lately but they
          usually have a good
          >>selection of ethnic patterns that are easy to use and can be adapted
          in a variety of
          >>ways. I - me personally - would stay away from Past Patterns,

          When deciding to buy any Historical pattern I like to check the Pattern
          review at
          The Greater Bay Costumer Guild. It is sort of the "Consumer's Report"
          on historical patterns and a gift to costuming! Below is the links to
          the home site and the review site.

          http://www.gbacg.org/

          http://www.gbacg.org/Patterns/index.html

          Susan
        • Spidra Webster
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 9 7:08 AM
            This SCAer is probably someone to ask:

            http://members.aol.com/LiudmilaV/KOKOSHNIK.htm
          • Michele Milunas
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 17 5:33 AM
              I am partly of Scandinavian descent myself and have been wanting to make a bunad also. If you find out if there is a commercially made pattern for one, please let me know too. I am trying to piece one together from a medieval skirt pattern and a modern vest pattern.

              Thanks,
              Michele

              I am of Norwegian descent, and will also be heading up the church Jul
              Fest bazaar and craft sale this December. I would like to make myself
              a bunad (norwegian folk costume) to wear for the event. I have visited
              many sites, and looked at many pictures. I was wondering if such a
              thing exists as a pattern to make one? I have Margo's Elizabethan
              patterns, and thought that some of the vests looked similar to a
              split-skirt bodice.

              Can anyone help? I have just about google-d myself into a spin!

              Denise in WI

              Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

            • The Christiansens
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 18 1:13 PM
                I finally found them here:

                http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID5024187DD397095-Apparel/Nordic-
                Patterns.aspx?page=1

                I will post my progress on this to the list as I proceed with this
                project. Not sure how soon, though- I do have until December!

                Denise in WI
                www.homepage.mac.com/leafbyniggle/

              • Michele Milunas
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 18 6:12 PM
                  Oh, wow! Thank you so much, Denise, for posting this link! I will be ordering mine soon and will keep you posted on my progress too:-))

                  Michele in PA
                  I will post my progress on this to the list as I proceed with this
                  project. Not sure how soon, though- I do have until December!

                  Denise in WI
                  www.homepage.mac.com/leafbyniggle/

                  Performing arts center

                • Michele Milunas
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 19 8:47 AM
                    Oh, I meant to ask: how do you pronounce "bunad"? BUN-ad or Bun-AD?

                    Michele

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 19 10:01 AM
                      i have heard it as boon-AHD, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is
                      the correct pronunciation.

                      Denise

                      On Mar 19, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Michele Milunas wrote:

                      > Oh, I meant to ask: how do you pronounce "bunad"? BUN-ad or Bun-AD?
                      >
                      > Michele

                    • Spidra Webster
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 19 10:26 AM
                        Emphasis on the first syllable.

                        On Mar 19, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Michele Milunas wrote:

                        > Oh, I meant to ask: how do you pronounce "bunad"? BUN-ad or Bun-AD?
                        >
                        > Michele

                        > Spidra Webster
                        http://www.spidra.com
                      • Michele Milunas
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 19 6:14 PM
                          "Takk", Denise and Spidra!

                          Michele

                          On Mar 19, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Michele Milunas wrote:

                          > Oh, I meant to ask: how do you pronounce "bunad"? BUN-ad or Bun-AD?
                          >
                          > Michele

                          > Spidra Webster
                          http://www.spidra.com

                          Performing arts center

                        • Cynthia Spilsted
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 13, 2007
                            You can get a pattern direct from Norway, or you can google for Scandinavian Folk Costume patterns. If you want to make it closer to your district of Norway, then look on the Husfliden website to see the colours and decorations. Our Sons of Norway lodge has made 'fantasy' bunads this year - that is, not of any district....
                            Good luck!
                            C.

                            The Christiansens <rtc@...> wrote:
                            I am of Norwegian descent, and will also be heading up the church Jul
                            Fest bazaar and craft sale this December. I would like to make myself
                            a bunad (norwegian folk costume) to wear for the event. I have visited
                            many sites, and looked at many pictures. I was wondering if such a
                            thing exists as a pattern to make one? I have Margo's Elizabethan
                            patterns, and thought that some of the vests looked similar to a
                            split-skirt bodice.

                            Can anyone help? I have just about google-d myself into a spin!

                            Denise in WI

                            Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

                          • Bo Persson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 14, 2007
                              Maybe I can help? I am not Norwegian but Swedish. I attended a
                              conference in Oslo a month ago. A man called Bjørn Sverre Hol Haugen
                              from The National Council for Folk Costumes gave a paper about
                              Norwegian Bunad. I would guess he may be able to help you, or he can
                              tell you who to contact.
                              Email me private and I will give you his email address.
                              Good luck.
                              Bo
                              Bo Persson, M.A.
                              Independent Fashion Researcher
                              bo_persson@...
                              Skype name: bossep64
                              http://bopersson64.wordpress.com/
                              http://culturedevelopmentandresearch-cedar.freehomepage.com/
                              http://boperssonsblogg.blogspot.com/
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/76021273@N00/
                              http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/a?i=0sgcbH0TLC

                              14 jun 2007 kl. 06.27 skrev Cynthia Spilsted:

                              > You can get a pattern direct from Norway, or you can google for
                              > Scandinavian Folk Costume patterns. If you want to make it closer
                              > to your district of Norway, then look on the Husfliden website to
                              > see the colours and decorations. Our Sons of Norway lodge has made
                              > 'fantasy' bunads this year - that is, not of any district....
                              > Good luck!
                              > C.
                              >
                              > The Christiansens <rtc@...> wrote:
                              > I am of Norwegian descent, and will also be heading up the church Jul
                              > Fest bazaar and craft sale this December. I would like to make myself
                              > a bunad (norwegian folk costume) to wear for the event. I have visited
                              > many sites, and looked at many pictures. I was wondering if such a
                              > thing exists as a pattern to make one? I have Margo's Elizabethan
                              > patterns, and thought that some of the vests looked similar to a
                              > split-skirt bodice.
                              >
                              > Can anyone help? I have just about google-d myself into a spin!
                              >
                              > Denise in WI

                              > Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing
                              > arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

                            • Ms Kristine Hudson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 14, 2007
                                Hi there!
                                My brother lives in Norway, and while visiting him
                                this past February, I picked up some Norwegian
                                patterns and a pattern catalog. The Catalog is
                                Stoff & Stil.<www.stoffogstil.no> There are
                                traditional festival dress patterns available. (There,
                                in Norway, you have to be certified to be considered
                                worthy enough to construct the official dress for
                                festivals, Verry protective of their heritage) <G> ;-D

                                Hope this helps!;-D
                                Kristine

                                http://tv.yahoo.com/