Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] When the costumes overshadow the rest of the production

  • Susan Cassidy
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8 8:53 AM
      Not that badly, thank goodness! A little paint on the flats might've been nice.
      Beware directors who want anything exactly like something else, particularly movies--shows a lack of creativity. One of the things I love about Wizard of Oz onstage is the jitterbug number (which I don't think is in the movie, but I haven't watched that in years). I have seen three productions onstage, and all were different, and equally enchanting.
      Hey, congratulations on getting through this production! Seems to me you kept on getting more bodies to costume as time went on, which is always a challenge.

    • metholhill
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17 9:15 AM
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54"
        <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

        > I am halfway through this massive(65 people)production of Wizard
        of
        > Oz.The director wanted it to be "just like the movie".I hate it
        when
        > they say that! I gave it my best shot,lots of trims,interior
        > details,that sort of thing..I have 37 Munchkins, and 25
        > Winkie Guards,complete with fur helmets and halberds.There are 13
        > Jitterbugs and 10 'Forest Ghosts" in the dance number.There are 25
        > Emerald City Osians. Total costume count is 146.I spent over
        > $3000.If you do the math,I brought in in for under $25 a
        costume.And
        > before you ask,money was NOT an issue for this show!
        > There was a very large budget.
        > As for the rest of the show: No tornado,just lights flashing on
        and
        > off. There is only a suggestion of a set.Ground borders of
        painted
        > flowers for Munchkinland.Lime green flats for the Emerald
        City,solid
        > green,no design on them at all.No fire for the Witch to throw,not
        > even red fabric or red lights,although they DID decide to use REAL
        > water,for some reason.This show looks like a grade school show in
        > the cafeteria!.
        > This director is supposed to be teaching Tech Theatre at this high
        > school.
        > I feel as if my costumes overshadow the rest of the show. I could
        > have done a much simpler version of everything: Lion's mane out of
        > yarn,that kind of thing.Everyone has said how great the costumes
        > are,but I feel like they were the ONLY thing about this show TO
        > compliment.It's like wearing a sumptuous ballgown to the Dollar
        > Store!
        > Has anyone else ever had this problem? Elizabeth

        I have had this happen also. I agree with the comment that was made
        about doing the best you can, always. That is how I work. It does
        not bother me when the costumes overshadow the rest of the show. I
        always do my best to make the costumes as beautiful as possible,
        even on a shoestring budget. I believe in the philosophy that we are
        costumers, that is what we do, and that is why we were hired or
        asked to vounteer, so do your very best. It has been my experience
        that the more beautiful the costumes, the better the actors act. you
        know? Keep doing what you do. Patricia