When the costumes overshadow the rest of the production

  • catslave54
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
      I am halfway through this massive(65 people)production of Wizard of
      Oz.The director wanted it to be "just like the movie".I hate it when
      they say that! I gave it my best shot,lots of trims,interior
      details,that sort of thing..I have 37 Munchkins, and 25
      Winkie Guards,complete with fur helmets and halberds.There are 13
      Jitterbugs and 10 'Forest Ghosts" in the dance number.There are 25
      Emerald City Osians. Total costume count is 146.I spent over
      $3000.If you do the math,I brought in in for under $25 a costume.And
      before you ask,money was NOT an issue for this show!
      There was a very large budget.
      As for the rest of the show: No tornado,just lights flashing on and
      off. There is only a suggestion of a set.Ground borders of painted
      flowers for Munchkinland.Lime green flats for the Emerald City,solid
      green,no design on them at all.No fire for the Witch to throw,not
      even red fabric or red lights,although they DID decide to use REAL
      water,for some reason.This show looks like a grade school show in
      the cafeteria!.
      This director is supposed to be teaching Tech Theatre at this high
      school.
      I feel as if my costumes overshadow the rest of the show. I could
      have done a much simpler version of everything: Lion's mane out of
      yarn,that kind of thing.Everyone has said how great the costumes
      are,but I feel like they were the ONLY thing about this show TO
      compliment.It's like wearing a sumptuous ballgown to the Dollar
      Store!
      Has anyone else ever had this problem? Elizabeth
    • K Murphy
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
        I've had this experience more times than I'd care to count. The biggest hole in my portfolio is "production shots," because I'm often embarrassed by the sets my costumes appear on.

        There are several ways you can look at it:

        -- If you did the show to further your career, you now have some good costumes to add to your portfolio. Just resolve to always do the best work you can, no matter what anyone else does. You'll never have anything to apologize for.

        -- If you only did the show for fun, and you were too stressed for it to be fun, you learned a valuable lesson. Be more realistic next time; put things in their proper perspective and make sure you're not working alone.

        -- If you plan to continue to work with kids, remember it is (or should be, IMHO) a learning experience for them. If you do all the work for them, they will learn nothing. If you get the kids involved with helping to do the costuming, even if you have to sacrifice some of the quality, you do both yourself and the kids a favor.

        Kate

        catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Susan Cassidy
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
          Not that badly, thank goodness! A little paint on the flats might've been nice.
          Beware directors who want anything exactly like something else, particularly movies--shows a lack of creativity. One of the things I love about Wizard of Oz onstage is the jitterbug number (which I don't think is in the movie, but I haven't watched that in years). I have seen three productions onstage, and all were different, and equally enchanting.
          Hey, congratulations on getting through this production! Seems to me you kept on getting more bodies to costume as time went on, which is always a challenge.

        • metholhill
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 17, 2006
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54"
            <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

            > I am halfway through this massive(65 people)production of Wizard
            of
            > Oz.The director wanted it to be "just like the movie".I hate it
            when
            > they say that! I gave it my best shot,lots of trims,interior
            > details,that sort of thing..I have 37 Munchkins, and 25
            > Winkie Guards,complete with fur helmets and halberds.There are 13
            > Jitterbugs and 10 'Forest Ghosts" in the dance number.There are 25
            > Emerald City Osians. Total costume count is 146.I spent over
            > $3000.If you do the math,I brought in in for under $25 a
            costume.And
            > before you ask,money was NOT an issue for this show!
            > There was a very large budget.
            > As for the rest of the show: No tornado,just lights flashing on
            and
            > off. There is only a suggestion of a set.Ground borders of
            painted
            > flowers for Munchkinland.Lime green flats for the Emerald
            City,solid
            > green,no design on them at all.No fire for the Witch to throw,not
            > even red fabric or red lights,although they DID decide to use REAL
            > water,for some reason.This show looks like a grade school show in
            > the cafeteria!.
            > This director is supposed to be teaching Tech Theatre at this high
            > school.
            > I feel as if my costumes overshadow the rest of the show. I could
            > have done a much simpler version of everything: Lion's mane out of
            > yarn,that kind of thing.Everyone has said how great the costumes
            > are,but I feel like they were the ONLY thing about this show TO
            > compliment.It's like wearing a sumptuous ballgown to the Dollar
            > Store!
            > Has anyone else ever had this problem? Elizabeth

            I have had this happen also. I agree with the comment that was made
            about doing the best you can, always. That is how I work. It does
            not bother me when the costumes overshadow the rest of the show. I
            always do my best to make the costumes as beautiful as possible,
            even on a shoestring budget. I believe in the philosophy that we are
            costumers, that is what we do, and that is why we were hired or
            asked to vounteer, so do your very best. It has been my experience
            that the more beautiful the costumes, the better the actors act. you
            know? Keep doing what you do. Patricia