Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Painting vinyl

  • The Christiansens
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 10:06 AM
      I haven't been following this thread, but last year I needed to spray
      paint daughter's rain boots to go with her Jedi costume (they were
      bright yellow, and needed to be brown). We used the spray paint
      designed to cover plastic outdoor furniture. Fusion, I think it is
      called. Made by Krylon or the other big spray paint company, whose
      name escapes me at the moment.....anyway, it worked well, dried fast,
      and held up surprisingly fine to wear through the busy Halloween
      season.

      On Mar 2, 2006, at 11:42 AM, phbp@... wrote:

      > ...oy. I remember learning my lesson about spray painting vinyl: I
      > found
      > a great pair of vinyl go-go boots for THE boots in a production of
      > 'Puss
      > In Boots'. I sprayed them bright red and then I waited...and waited and
      > waited...days went by, a week. The actress could not touch them they
      > were still slick with red paint: I could not find any other boots
      > anywhere as opening approached. I finally dusted them with red tempera
      > powder, which bonded with the paint and made a kind of coating: it was
      > acceptable but not as bright---but I learned my lesson about spray
      > painting vinyl.
      > phbp
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      www.homepage.mac.com/leafbyniggle/

    • K Murphy
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 10:41 AM
        Oh, those hard-way lessons we all learn.

        About 18 years ago I worked in the costume shop of a large theatre here in Chicago. We had built a very large, very complicated open framework to be worn by an actor portraying a carnival game (don't ask...). It was covered with Styrofoam heads, which the designer then wanted spray-painted in bright colors...if you know what happens when you try to spray paint Styrofoam (with regular spray paint), you're already groaning. After about ten seconds it simply ate into the Styrofoam, but the delay was just long enough that we continued to spray heads until about half of them were ruined...left looking as if a horrible attack with acid had eaten away their faces! Not exactly the fun, musical comedy clown faces we were shooting for....

        So here's a hint: If you ever want to spray-paint Styrofoam, USE FLORAL SPRAY!

        Kate

        phbp@... wrote:
        ...oy. I remember learning my lesson about spray painting vinyl: I found
        a great pair of vinyl go-go boots for THE boots in a production of 'Puss
        In Boots'. I sprayed them bright red and then I waited...and waited and
        waited...days went by, a week. The actress could not touch them they
        were still slick with red paint: I could not find any other boots
        anywhere as opening approached. I finally dusted them with red tempera
        powder, which bonded with the paint and made a kind of coating: it was
        acceptable but not as bright---but I learned my lesson about spray
        painting vinyl.
        phbp

        Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center