Re: Painting vinyl

  • phbp@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
      ...oy. I remember learning my lesson about spray painting vinyl: I found
      a great pair of vinyl go-go boots for THE boots in a production of 'Puss
      In Boots'. I sprayed them bright red and then I waited...and waited and
      waited...days went by, a week. The actress could not touch them they
      were still slick with red paint: I could not find any other boots
      anywhere as opening approached. I finally dusted them with red tempera
      powder, which bonded with the paint and made a kind of coating: it was
      acceptable but not as bright---but I learned my lesson about spray
      painting vinyl.
      phbp
    • The Christiansens
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
        I haven't been following this thread, but last year I needed to spray
        paint daughter's rain boots to go with her Jedi costume (they were
        bright yellow, and needed to be brown). We used the spray paint
        designed to cover plastic outdoor furniture. Fusion, I think it is
        called. Made by Krylon or the other big spray paint company, whose
        name escapes me at the moment.....anyway, it worked well, dried fast,
        and held up surprisingly fine to wear through the busy Halloween
        season.

        On Mar 2, 2006, at 11:42 AM, phbp@... wrote:

        > ...oy. I remember learning my lesson about spray painting vinyl: I
        > found
        > a great pair of vinyl go-go boots for THE boots in a production of
        > 'Puss
        > In Boots'. I sprayed them bright red and then I waited...and waited and
        > waited...days went by, a week. The actress could not touch them they
        > were still slick with red paint: I could not find any other boots
        > anywhere as opening approached. I finally dusted them with red tempera
        > powder, which bonded with the paint and made a kind of coating: it was
        > acceptable but not as bright---but I learned my lesson about spray
        > painting vinyl.
        > phbp
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        www.homepage.mac.com/leafbyniggle/

      • K Murphy
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
          Oh, those hard-way lessons we all learn.

          About 18 years ago I worked in the costume shop of a large theatre here in Chicago. We had built a very large, very complicated open framework to be worn by an actor portraying a carnival game (don't ask...). It was covered with Styrofoam heads, which the designer then wanted spray-painted in bright colors...if you know what happens when you try to spray paint Styrofoam (with regular spray paint), you're already groaning. After about ten seconds it simply ate into the Styrofoam, but the delay was just long enough that we continued to spray heads until about half of them were ruined...left looking as if a horrible attack with acid had eaten away their faces! Not exactly the fun, musical comedy clown faces we were shooting for....

          So here's a hint: If you ever want to spray-paint Styrofoam, USE FLORAL SPRAY!

          Kate

          phbp@... wrote:
          ...oy. I remember learning my lesson about spray painting vinyl: I found
          a great pair of vinyl go-go boots for THE boots in a production of 'Puss
          In Boots'. I sprayed them bright red and then I waited...and waited and
          waited...days went by, a week. The actress could not touch them they
          were still slick with red paint: I could not find any other boots
          anywhere as opening approached. I finally dusted them with red tempera
          powder, which bonded with the paint and made a kind of coating: it was
          acceptable but not as bright---but I learned my lesson about spray
          painting vinyl.
          phbp

          Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center