Vinyl painting

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      > From: Susan Geertsen <Susig@...>
      > Subject: Painting Vinyl
      >
      > Does anyone know how to successfully paint vinyl? I
      > tried spray paint which has stayed flexible but is
      > still sticky 24 hours later.

      Most spray paints (enamel types) have a solvent base, that
      will dissolve the surface of the vinyl...that's why it's
      sticky. The suggestion of powdering is a good one, I
      haven't tried it for painting on vinyl but it's a good
      finishing technique for using pax on prosthetics, which
      dries with a slightly sticky texture.

      > From: Maggie Baker <costumedesigner@...>
      > Subject: Re: Painting Vinyl
      >
      > Acrylic is better on vinyl. Sponge or spatter it on
      > and it works well. Also, if you sponge on a layer of
      > glue, like Barge or caulk, it will give the paint
      > something to stick too rather than the slick vinyl.

      I'd suggest Sobo or some other craft glue that dries
      flexible. Barge will also eat into the vinyl a little bit,
      but because of the way the glue works, once it dries, it
      will dry the dissolved vinyl, too.

      > From: "bearhedded" <bearhedded@...>
      > Subject: Re: Painting Vinyl
      >

      > There is paint made specifically FOR vinyl....one brand
      > is
      > Nu-Life, the same folks who make Magix, but there are
      > several
      > others. It'll be noted on the label, if it's suitable,
      > but not if it's not!

      This stuff is GREAT. I've had to re-do the color on
      leather, vinyl, and PVC shoes. The secret is to do
      multiple light coats...if you do heavy coats, it sill crack
      and peel as the material flexes. But it works on almost
      anything. Just about any shoe repair place will have it in
      stock, in the common colors for shoes...and if you've got a
      good relationship with them (or if they've got any business
      sense whatsoever), you can order 'non-standard' colors
      through them, as well (our cobbler has helped me track down
      a LOT of different shades in the past few years).

      If you want to do it quick and easy, this is the way to go.

      > You can try another spray product on it called, Resin
      > Glaze Spray.

      Any sort of flexible spray fixative might work...but I'm
      not sure how it will react with the vinyl, it could end up
      making a bad problem worse. Test it on small pieces first!

      > From: K Murphy <costumerkate@...>
      > Subject: Re: Painting Vinyl
      >
      > If you have new vinyl goods with no coating, you can
      > skip that step (or you can substitute acetone for the
      > leather preparer and remove the sticky paint you've
      > already applied -- unfortunately it will probably smear
      > and may remove color from the surface of your material as
      > well).

      Acetone will probably eat the vinyl, too. I'd strongly
      recommend testing first. This is great for stripping
      built-up wax, polish, colored sprays, etc off of
      leather--but I've tried it (in very small quantities) to
      take very stubborn scuffs off of some varieties of vinyl
      boots...it didn't eat the vinyl away, but it did leave a
      sticky finish that I had to polish over several times to
      seal.

      Curtis Kidd

      http://mail.yahoo.com