Painting Vinyl

  • Susan Geertsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2006
      Does anyone know how to successfully paint vinyl? I
      tried spray paint which has stayed flexible but is
      still sticky 24 hours later. I am making parts of
      some roman soldiers uniforns and need to make them out
      of vinyl for cost reasons. We have the vinyl. Any
      help would be appreciated.
      Susi Geertsen

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Maggie Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
        Acrylic is better on vinyl. Sponge or spatter it on
        and it works well. Also, if you sponge on a layer of
        glue, like Barge or caulk, it will give the paint
        something to stick too rather than the slick vinyl.

        - Maggie Baker-Atkins

        --- Susan Geertsen <Susig@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know how to successfully paint vinyl? I
        > tried spray paint which has stayed flexible but is
        > still sticky 24 hours later. I am making parts of
        > some roman soldiers uniforns and need to make them
        > out
        > of vinyl for cost reasons. We have the vinyl. Any
        > help would be appreciated.
        > Susi Geertsen

        > protection around
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • K Murphy
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
          If you want to use a spray effect, call around to local shoe repair shops and ask them if they carry shoe color spray (one common brand is called "Magix.") Shoe color spray is designed specifically for use on vinyl, leather, and plastic.

          Make sure to follow all the manufacturer's instructions regarding ventilation. Most shoes have a wax or polish on them that needs to be removed first, so the directions will ask you to wipe the shoes with a product that removes it (Magix' is called "Leather Preparer" I think). If you have new vinyl goods with no coating, you can skip that step (or you can substitute acetone for the leather preparer and remove the sticky paint you've already applied -- unfortunately it will probably smear and may remove color from the surface of your material as well).

          Experiment with light dustings of various colors -- you can get great effects.

          good luck!

          Kate

          Susan Geertsen <Susig@...> wrote:
          Does anyone know how to successfully paint vinyl? I
          tried spray paint which has stayed flexible but is
          still sticky 24 hours later. I am making parts of
          some roman soldiers uniforns and need to make them out
          of vinyl for cost reasons. We have the vinyl. Any
          help would be appreciated.
          Susi Geertsen

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

        • bearhedded
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
            There is paint made specifically FOR vinyl....one brand is
            Nu-Life, the same folks who make Magix, but there are several
            others. It'll be noted on the label, if it's suitable, but not if it's not!

            The stuff that is sticky on your test piece will stay sticky for years!
            You can try another spray product on it called, Resin Glaze Spray.
            I forget who makes it, but they make sealer sprays for chalk and
            pastel artists, too.

            Dust sticks to it, too.....maybe this could be where you start your
            breaking-down process, with Texas dirt and/or Pearlex
            Pigments?