Regency Dress

  • hitulgandhi79
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hi there, I'm new to the group, and I was just wondering if anybody
      here might be able to tell me what a back extension is. I'm trying to
      put togther a regency style dress from a butterick pattern, but I just
      can't seem to make heads or tails of the back extension. Thanks,
      - Lynore
    • Susan Cassidy
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
        Not having the pattern in front of me, the back extension is one of two things, I think: it could be the piece that drapes off the shoulders from the back of the neck to the bottom hem in the back, or it could be a piece that attaches to the pattern's skirt back to form a slight train. Good luck

      • Pat
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
          Hi Lynore,
          What's the pattern number?
          Pat

          > Hi there, I'm new to the group, and I was just wondering if anybody
          > here might be able to tell me what a back extension is. I'm trying to
          > put togther a regency style dress from a butterick pattern, but I just
          > can't seem to make heads or tails of the back extension. Thanks,
          > - Lynore
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Just Sew Simple
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
            Are you working on pattern 6630?

            The back extension is that narrow strip of fabric that covers the gap when you lace up the back, like a modesty panel. It will get attached on one side of the dress starting at the top and going all the way down just past where the slit in the top of the skirt is. The picture here shows a completed dress made with this pattern turned inside out where you can see the back extension in the center. http://premium1.uploadit.org/rsitter/historical/100_1010.JPG and here is a photo of the back of the dress right side out http://premium1.uploadit.org/rsitter/historical/100_1001.JPG. You can't really see the back extension since it's laced completely, but it gives you an idea, anyway.

            Hope this helps!
            Randi
            www.justsewsimple.com

            Hi there, I'm new to the group, and I was just wondering if anybody
            here might be able to tell me what a back extension is. I'm trying to
            put togther a regency style dress from a butterick pattern, but I just
            can't seem to make heads or tails of the back extension. Thanks,
            - Lynore

          • justsewsimple
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
              Since you got a few different answers, and just in case you were
              actually working on Butterick pattern 6630, I finally found my
              instructions and the extensions are as follows: piece 9A, the lower
              back extension, attaches to the bottom of piece 9, 10A, the lower side
              back extension attaches to the bottom of piece 10, and so the "Back
              extension" if piece 25 is definitely what goes behind the grommets as
              a modesty panel.

              And if you aren't working on this particular pattern... well, maybe
              chances are that the piece would be called the same thing in another
              Butterick pattern. I have definitely saw this piece referred to as a
              back extension in some McCall's patterns. :-)

              Good Luck!

              Randi
              www.justsewsimple.com
            • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28, 2006
                I finally figured out the Robe ala francaise!
                I am working on a rather large felt peg wooden Queen ann doll and she will
                be dressed in a Robe a la Francaise.
                Julie