  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2006
      > From: Brad Gould <bradleyvictor@...>
      > Subject: Silicone?
      >
      > Hello,
      > Recently, my boyfriend and I were watching "A
      > beautiful Mind" on dvd. Going through the special
      > features I saw a clip on the aging makeup where they
      > mentioned making pieces to apply to Russel Crowe's face
      > to age him. I believe that they said that they were
      > using a silicone or silicone foam. Where could I get
      > this, and could it be used in drag for fake breasts?
      > Thanks for any info, I've never worked with anything
      > like this before.
      > Brad

      There's a place in Utah called Special Effect Supply--they
      actually do a lot of international business, believe it or
      not. The owner used to work out of LA, but moved to Salt
      Lake after the riots in the early 90's. Do a search for
      their name, they have a web site that's pretty complete.
      If they don't carry silicone for prosthetics, they know
      where to get it.

      As for whether it could be used--I don't see why not. I'm
      not sure it would be the best option, I've never worked
      with it, myself. I don't know what the individual
      challenges are for working with it. I do think the biggest
      challenge would be figuring out how to attach the pieces,
      as silicone tends to be a little heavier than a lot of
      other prosthetics. It's great for stuff like aging,
      because it more accurately simulates the texture of skin
      than foam or latex, but those prosthetics tend to be very
      light.

      I've seen silicone used for self-adhering bra cups,
      however, and it was very effective for that. But check
      that website (sorry, I don't have the address
      directly)--there's a section where you can ask them
      questions, tell Steve what you're looking to do and ask his
      advice, he can tell you what the best options are.

      Curtis Kidd

      http://mail.yahoo.com