Re: "anyone can costume"

  • Julia Trimarco
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2006
      "Do you think any of the groups who think anyone can costume can intelligently discuss fashion silhouettes of various eras, drape a garment, make a pattern or even sew on a button?"

      It would be fun to test this theory. The next time some idiot says anything dumb to you about how easy it is to costume (anyone can sew, right? we all wear clothes, right?), just reply intelligently, start a conversation throwing in all the lingo, the shop talk you can think of. "We'll, you know Fortuny died without revealing his pleating method, but I'm sure you can build me a reasonable facsimile of his Empire style. Just remember to allow for an Edwardian elasticized corset and you'll be fine."
      Anything you can think of to get their eyes to glaze over the way mine do when I'm listening to my programmer friends discuss code.