Treating gloves

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
      > From: Anne Redish <ar11@...>
      > Subject: Glove Softening
      >
      > GLOVES: What can I rub on / into some quite old ivory
      > ladies kid-skin thin
      > leather gloves to soften them, so they will be easier to
      > wear and possibly
      > stretch a bit? Unscented of course, due to raging scent
      > allergies in the
      > cast.

      Actually, according to one of my best friends (who does a
      lot of leather work), you can get away with common hand
      lotion for a lot of gloves. The moisture might throw the
      color off just a bit, but it won't change it massively. I
      just used this idea for a bunch of gloves we used for our
      Halloween shows this year, they were so stiff before I
      started I thought I was going to have to chuck them. Put
      on the lotion, let them sit for a day or two...and they
      were like putting on totally different gloves. Soft,
      pliable, just a little bit of an extra grip to the leather
      due to being so moist (I slathered the lotion on, used a
      lot more than I probably should, but they were in sad
      shape).

      And while it made the leather a little darker, it didn't
      change the color to another hue. Try a little in an
      unobtrusive spot on the gloves to be sure, but I think
      that'll take care of your issue, effectively and cheaply.

      Curtis Kidd

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Steve Austin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
        Most hand lotions contain ingredients that will clog the pores of leather
        and do more damage than good. Stearyl Alchohol, Propylene Glycol, and many
        other such ingredients are very bad for leather.

        Lanolin, beeswax, mink oil, neatsfoot oil, etc are very GOOD for leather.
        There are even products on the market that won't darken your item.

        ;>
        Steve Austin
        <http://www.austinleatherworks.com/> www.austinleatherworks.com

        Life isn't easy, the world's not a fair place. Only if we don't do something
        to change that. So are you helping?

        _____

        > GLOVES: What can I rub on / into some quite old ivory
        > ladies kid-skin thin
        > leather gloves to soften them, so they will be easier to
        > wear and possibly
        > stretch a bit? Unscented of course, due to raging scent
        > allergies in the
        > cast.

        Actually, according to one of my best friends (who does a
        lot of leather work), you can get away with common hand
        lotion for a lot of gloves. The moisture might throw the
        color off just a bit, but it won't change it massively. I
        just used this idea for a bunch of gloves we used for our
        Halloween shows this year, they were so stiff before I
        started I thought I was going to have to chuck them. Put
        on the lotion, let them sit for a day or two...and they
        were like putting on totally different gloves. Soft,
        pliable, just a little bit of an extra grip to the leather
        due to being so moist (I slathered the lotion on, used a
        lot more than I probably should, but they were in sad
        shape).

        And while it made the leather a little darker, it didn't
        change the color to another hue. Try a little in an
        unobtrusive spot on the gloves to be sure, but I think
        that'll take care of your issue, effectively and cheaply.

        Curtis Kidd

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Performing
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Performing+arts+camp&w1=Performing+arts
        +camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+for+
        the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=PqRfg8xh0f_vJ0n
        dIhEwHg> arts camp

        Performing
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Performing+arts+schools&w1=Performing+a
        rts+camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+f
        or+the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=kF3aG7APCDIh
        Ble9tApPhg> arts schools

        School
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=School+of+performing+arts&w1=Performing
        +arts+camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center
        +for+the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=bdLGm9PCNI
        eVTyeA_rsBxA> of performing arts

        Center
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Center+for+the+performing+arts&w1=Perfo
        rming+arts+camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=C
        enter+for+the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=Ye-YS
        F16dOQeAR30xzJo_A> for the performing arts

        Performing
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Performing+arts+center&w1=Performing+ar
        ts+camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+fo
        r+the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=kyHQUanNlUWu6
        0Td1LXXHA> arts center

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TheCostumersManifesto
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto> " on the web.

        e>

        _____