Costumer and Director

  • Molly Dewane
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      The ladies have an excellent point. Your frustration level will only increase if you say nothing. Take a deep breath and try to come from a calm, nondefensive corner. Calmly explain your issues to the director. If you think you need a referee, you might want to discuss the problem with the producer present, too. The producer is usually responsible for budget and timeline. I think it's perfectly reasonable to tell the director your limitations (e.g. basic costume if more people are added to a number) because of budget and your suggestions. I think it's insane and unprofessional for a director to keep adding people to a show already cast but we all know how directors can be. I think, though, that by and large, approaching the show as a collaborative project will serve you best. I've been there, believe me! Last year's "Into the Woods" was crazy because the director kept making it more and more elaborate. Sometimes going to Goodwill and picking up dishes to smash helps, too.
      :) Now I'm kidding! Hang in there!

      Molly
      www.mollydewane.com