Re: Yet another tale of Costumer Abuse

  • patrickhbporter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2006
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sandrew <jinx_hardy@y...> wrote:

      > The first show I was ever in charge of coordinating was "The Laramie Project". Over 20 cast members, and none of them were to leave the stage through the performance. It was tough to begin with. Luckily for me, I had a good friend working as my assistant, and we got through it okay. What we almost didn't ge through was teh fact that some of the cast members had gotten together and decided that they were going to "make it a tough experience" for me and my friend. I had to go the the department head to get people in for fittings and discussions, and he finally had to give the entire cast a little talking to.
      >
      > Kind of made it hard for me to want to continue working with these people in the somewhat professional setting of a college theatre program. Thankfully most of these people have graduated, and I have become more mature, but seriously. . . how stupid can you be???
      >

      > Sandy

      There are many fine college theatre departments that require professional behavior---and some don't. The well regarded university theatre department near me seems to incubate a lot of outrageous spoiled kids every season: they demand, they play ugly and painful politics,they throw tantrums: makes you want to leave theatre entirely and find other work. One memorable story out of many: a student prop designer had created a series of long sharp spears and weapons for a show---these things were always catching on costumes, ripping them and even endangering the actors who had to use them. When confronted by the costumer, the student prop designer shrugged and tisked, saying he was "happy with the design' of his props, so there would be no changes. Sadly, the department chair and others in the chain of command stood by this 'artistic decision' to protect the creator's 'vision'. They pay well, but I refuse to work there.
      phbp