  • Katherine Scoggins
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2006
      Liz,
      You are right to be concerned about your back at your age. An aching back
      saps your energy faster than anything I can think of.

      You're right that taking breaks regularly does help. Also remember you are
      not a pack-mule. It is better to make more trips than to try to carry
      everything in one load. I have large bags made (we call them "body bags")
      to help carry large quantities of costumes to the cleaners, etc. I have
      also purchased a folding cart that carries a lot (450 lbs.) but only weighs
      27 lbs. and folds up to fit in the trunk of my car. Watch the height of
      your cutting table and ironing board and the position you are at in front of
      the sewing machine. Try Pilates training to strengthen your torso muscles.

      The other thing I would suggest is get a complete check-up including
      gyncological. After suffering for years with a back ache that I attributed
      to my work, my doctor discovered (because of some other problems) that I had
      fibroid tumors. My doctor told me that a backache was the most common
      symptom of fibroids. Apparently, some of the same nerves or muscles
      affect both. The back ache was there right up until they wheeled me in for
      surgery and has not reappeared since. I'm not suggesting that you have
      that problem--only that I had been blaming my work for the backache, when
      that wasn't the cause at all. In the meantime, I have taken steps to be
      gentler to my back because I'll have it long after I quit doing shows.

      Kathy

      Liz wrote:
      but here is a question sort of correlated with designer abuse! ha -
      I'm only 23, but I'm already very concerned about the way my back has
      been feeling when I have a particularly large amount of sewing to do.

      Anyone have any suggestions? Is it just to be judicious with breaks,
      or is there anything I could be doing to keep myself from developing
      back issues too young! I know women who have sewn for decades who
      seem pretty upright to me, so there must be something! or maybe i'm
      just paranoid...