Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Oktoberfest wedding gown

  • Rebecca Ballard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2006
      Here's one on the German wikipedia site:
      http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therese_von_Sachsen-Hildburghausen

      It looks lovely!
      Rebecca

      On 1/11/06, Alexadbw@... <Alexadbw@...> wrote:

      > In a message dated 1/11/2006 4:41:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > jovana@... writes:
      >
      > Certainly a painting must exist of this
      > event somewhere. Can anyone tell me where? Thank you so much for any
      > guidance.
      > Jovana
      >

      > Have you considered searching German language sites? If you don't speak it
      > yourself, perhaps you could find someone near you who would be willing to
      > help
      > out.
      > Alexa

      > ________________________________

    • serenpoly
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2006
        I found an image for you, but I'd be willing to bet it's the
        coronation picture of 1825, not the wedding in 1810.

        http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Theresebayern.jpg

        Still, it's not _that_ much different from 1810 fashions; I honestly
        can't make up my mind on the basis of the gown alone. 1825 is one of
        those watershed years, when the shape of women's clothes changed
        abruptly, so it's hard to tell.

        But note the crown on her head, and the fact that this portrait would
        face the original of the Ludwig I image also accessible from
        wikipedia, which _is_ identified as "King of Bavaria" in the (printed)
        frame. The dress looks subtly later than 1810 to me, but I can't
        point to any particular detail to support that opinion.

        You could always use a 'Regency' silhouette and the decoration from
        this dress, and you'd have something defensible, anyway.

        HTH.

        -- Emc^2

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "wolf_garten"