Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] who gets paid??

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2006
      I worked as the costumer for a community theatre a long time ago and
      was paid as an intern., i.e., very little. Since then, I have
      contacted numerous community theatres about design jobs. Most of them
      don't pay anything and I won't take them, since I'm trying to make a
      living at my art (not very successfully, most of the time, I must
      admit). I did interview and was offered the job as designer for a
      community theatre in Texas a few years ago. It paid fairly well for
      that kind of theatre. Enough to make a living at. I turned it down
      because of the location and took a draping job in CA for awhile
      instead.

      My opinion is that the designers should get paid as much as the
      directors. I think they all do as much work. At least I know from
      experience that the costume designers do. Whenever I have had to
      costume a medium to large size production, it takes all my time, not
      just evenings and weekends, which is what the actors in community
      theatre put in. So I think we should be paid accordingly.

      Sylrog

    • nomacproductions2002
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2006
        I think all people on a production should get some reward for all
        the hard work that is involved in staging a production.
        I own a Theatrical Costume Company in Ireland. As there are only 3
        such firms in the country, I find it very difficult to get stsff(I
        am recruiting for staff at the moment)
        We are such a specialized industry, even the Tax Office cannot
        catogorize us!!!!!

        Blanaid

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Poppy Shell"