who gets paid??

  • Poppy Shell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2006
      ALOHA: I am a costumer on the small island of Kauai and I'm thinking of
      becoming a board member for our small local community theater. There has
      been discussion on who should get paid for their work on plays for a small
      group like ours. At this time, I think the only workers getting any pay at
      all are the Director, Head of Set Construction, Costumer, and also with a
      musical, the Music Director and Choreographer. Pay is not alot, I have
      costumed a smaller play (like Dairy of Ann Frank) for $150 and a bigger
      musical (King & I) for $750. I think the Director gets anywhere from $1000
      for a smaller play up to $3,000 or more for a big musical.
      If anyone on this list is part of a community theater which is non-profit,
      do you know about this issue? Who gets paid? Any idea how much they get
      paid? Especially if you are from a smaller community like ours (Our island
      has a population of 50,000 or so, with around 10,000 tourists on hand also).
      Does it make a big difference how big your attendence is? (Our smaller
      plays will get a house of around 75-150 people in the audiance for a normal
      play, while a big musical will get around 400-600 AND our latest, Beauty
      and the Beast, broke all records with final two performances getting over
      1,000) We charge anywhere from $7 - $12 per adult ticket and do
      fund-raisers to make our budget.
      Any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time. POPPY
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2006
        I worked as the costumer for a community theatre a long time ago and
        was paid as an intern., i.e., very little. Since then, I have
        contacted numerous community theatres about design jobs. Most of them
        don't pay anything and I won't take them, since I'm trying to make a
        living at my art (not very successfully, most of the time, I must
        admit). I did interview and was offered the job as designer for a
        community theatre in Texas a few years ago. It paid fairly well for
        that kind of theatre. Enough to make a living at. I turned it down
        because of the location and took a draping job in CA for awhile
        instead.

        My opinion is that the designers should get paid as much as the
        directors. I think they all do as much work. At least I know from
        experience that the costume designers do. Whenever I have had to
        costume a medium to large size production, it takes all my time, not
        just evenings and weekends, which is what the actors in community
        theatre put in. So I think we should be paid accordingly.

        Sylrog

      • nomacproductions2002
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2006
          I think all people on a production should get some reward for all
          the hard work that is involved in staging a production.
          I own a Theatrical Costume Company in Ireland. As there are only 3
          such firms in the country, I find it very difficult to get stsff(I
          am recruiting for staff at the moment)
          We are such a specialized industry, even the Tax Office cannot
          catogorize us!!!!!

          Blanaid

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Poppy Shell"