Re: Armscye?

  • Love3angle
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "hoxierice"
      <hoxierice@y...> wrote:

      > Armscye
      > This has been a question of mine for a long time, but it just came up
      > again today. I am trying to find the history of this word. All I have
      > found is that scye is in the OED as the opening of a coat or gown into
      > which the sleeves are inserted. Anyone know any more than that? I
      > asked another group of "crafty", but not specifically costume people.
      > What about the armscye vs. armseye question. I was always taught
      > armscye, but (have found in my quick search) that armseye may be more
      > common?
      > Thanks

      I recently read a blurb on this word but I can't remember where... The
      upshot was that the common idea was that armscye was dreived from
      scythe, which was in imitation of that curve of the scythe. BUT that it
      was bunk/urban legend. The proper word was armseye and the other was a
      misspelling that has turned into common usage.

      Now, where did I read that...

      Alyxx
    • Rebecca Ballard
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005
        I found this description here
        (http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/glossary.html)
        which mentions the word "scye" and "sey":

        Armscye (Armseye)

        * It's not a term that is particularly medieval, but it gets tossed
        around a lot in medieval clothing discussions. It means 'Armhole', or
        that roundish place in the body of a garment that the sleeve gets set
        into.
        * OED "Scye - The opening in a coat into which a sleeve is inserted.
        1st listed use is 1825 JAMIESON Suppl. s.v. Sey, The sey of a gown or
        shift is the opening through which the arm passes. Etymology is listed
        as "A use of a Scots and Ulster dialect word (written also sey, sci,
        si, sie, sy in glossaries) meaning 'the opening of a gown, etc., into
        which the sleeve is inserted; the part of the dress between the armpit
        and the chest' (E.D.D.); of obscure etymology.
        * Armseye is listed in a description of 'Dolman' (sleeves) in the
        OED, dated to 1934.

        Interesting! =)

        Rebecca