Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for help with armor

  • Theresa Roden
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
      Check to see if you have SCA folks in your area, they might have some good ideas for you.

      Theresa R.

      lanorte1@... wrote:
      I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be
      alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a large
      budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go ahead
      and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
      inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the thin, cheap
      plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to the
      stage.

      Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
      shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

      Donna

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • lanorte1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
        In a message dated 12/8/2005 12:15:06 PM Central Standard Time,
        closetsnog@... writes:
        I know this is kind of a long shot. DId you see the posts earlier about
        LARPing? If you can find a group near you they might possibly have some really
        nice leather armor that they could lend you. My sister is part of a group in
        England and they all build their armor and usually have lots of excess to let
        people borrow. I know its a long shot but perhaps! Though you can e-bay it as
        well and just do a search for LARP armor.
        Amy:

        I remember those posts, but my project wasn't on my radar at the time, and
        I'd already deleted them. Can you provide a bit more information, and I'll try
        to track them down? Thanks

        Donna

      • mystri777@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
          The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) has chapters world-wide. Their
          hand-made armor is breathtaking. I have not been active for several years &
          confess that I do not recall leather armor but the handmade chain mail as well as
          full body metal armor was authentically researched & executed to the period
          intended.

          I believe the headquarters is milpitas, CA. or inquire online. They have
          incredible resources. Jousting tournaments, coronations by candlelight, lute
          players - if it existed anywhere in the world from the fall of Rome to the
          invention of gunpowder someone in the SCA has researched & duplicated it.

          For a wonderful treat, go to one of their candlelight feasts - it will make a
          believer of you that romance & chivalry truly did exist.

          bobbye crawford
          old hickory, tn

        • lanorte1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
            Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I've sent emails to local SCA and
            LARP chapters; hopefully I'll have some luck there. But if anyone has other
            ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

            Donna

          • Alexadbw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
              In a message dated 12/8/2005 1:56:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              lanorte1@... writes:

              I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

              alright) for a production happening in July.
              What style/era are you doing?

              _http://www.plasticlamellar.com/index.htm_

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                In a message dated 12/8/2005 2:52:33 PM Central Standard Time,
                Alexadbw@... writes:
                I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

                alright) for a production happening in July.
                What style/era are you doing?
                We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to have
                distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                Donna

              • Alexadbw@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                  In a message dated 12/8/2005 4:08:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  lanorte1@... writes:

                  We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to
                  have
                  distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                  Thanks.That helps.

                • Cat Devereaux
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                    >>But if anyone has other
                    ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

                    Faking armor tips here:
                    http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/ArmorCheats.htm . Also check the
                    sub tabs under there as well.

                    -Cat-