Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for help with armor

  • Amy Burnham
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
      I know this is kind of a long shot. DId you see the posts earlier about LARPing? If you can find a group near you they might possibly have some really nice leather armor that they could lend you. My sister is part of a group in England and they all build their armor and usually have lots of excess to let people borrow. I know its a long shot but perhaps! Though you can e-bay it as well and just do a search for LARP armor.

      ~Amy

      lanorte1@... wrote: I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be
      alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a large
      budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go ahead
      and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
      inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the thin, cheap
      plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to the
      stage.

      Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
      shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

      Donna

      Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

    • Theresa Roden
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
        Check to see if you have SCA folks in your area, they might have some good ideas for you.

        Theresa R.

        lanorte1@... wrote:
        I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be
        alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a large
        budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go ahead
        and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
        inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the thin, cheap
        plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to the
        stage.

        Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
        shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

        Donna

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alexadbw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
          In a message dated 12/8/2005 1:56:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          lanorte1@... writes:

          Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
          inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it?

          Here is a tutorial for making a lightweight armor. This site is fantasy, but
          the techniques would work for any style.

        • lanorte1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
            In a message dated 12/8/2005 12:15:06 PM Central Standard Time,
            closetsnog@... writes:
            I know this is kind of a long shot. DId you see the posts earlier about
            LARPing? If you can find a group near you they might possibly have some really
            nice leather armor that they could lend you. My sister is part of a group in
            England and they all build their armor and usually have lots of excess to let
            people borrow. I know its a long shot but perhaps! Though you can e-bay it as
            well and just do a search for LARP armor.
            Amy:

            I remember those posts, but my project wasn't on my radar at the time, and
            I'd already deleted them. Can you provide a bit more information, and I'll try
            to track them down? Thanks

            Donna

          • mystri777@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
              The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) has chapters world-wide. Their
              hand-made armor is breathtaking. I have not been active for several years &
              confess that I do not recall leather armor but the handmade chain mail as well as
              full body metal armor was authentically researched & executed to the period
              intended.

              I believe the headquarters is milpitas, CA. or inquire online. They have
              incredible resources. Jousting tournaments, coronations by candlelight, lute
              players - if it existed anywhere in the world from the fall of Rome to the
              invention of gunpowder someone in the SCA has researched & duplicated it.

              For a wonderful treat, go to one of their candlelight feasts - it will make a
              believer of you that romance & chivalry truly did exist.

              bobbye crawford
              old hickory, tn

            • lanorte1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I've sent emails to local SCA and
                LARP chapters; hopefully I'll have some luck there. But if anyone has other
                ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

                Donna

              • Alexadbw@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                  lanorte1@... writes:

                  I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

                  alright) for a production happening in July.
                  What style/era are you doing?

                  _http://www.plasticlamellar.com/index.htm_

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                    In a message dated 12/8/2005 2:52:33 PM Central Standard Time,
                    Alexadbw@... writes:
                    I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

                    alright) for a production happening in July.
                    What style/era are you doing?
                    We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to have
                    distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                    Donna

                  • Alexadbw@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                      In a message dated 12/8/2005 4:08:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      lanorte1@... writes:

                      We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to
                      have
                      distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                      Thanks.That helps.

                    • Cat Devereaux
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                        >>But if anyone has other
                        ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

                        Faking armor tips here:
                        http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/ArmorCheats.htm . Also check the
                        sub tabs under there as well.

                        -Cat-