Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for help with armor

  • Amy Burnham
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
      I know this is kind of a long shot. DId you see the posts earlier about LARPing? If you can find a group near you they might possibly have some really nice leather armor that they could lend you. My sister is part of a group in England and they all build their armor and usually have lots of excess to let people borrow. I know its a long shot but perhaps! Though you can e-bay it as well and just do a search for LARP armor.

      ~Amy

      lanorte1@... wrote: I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be
      alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a large
      budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go ahead
      and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
      inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the thin, cheap
      plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to the
      stage.

      Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
      shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

      Donna

      Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

    • Randolph Keator
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
        Try austinleatherworks. Nice stuff and they might give some decent prices
        for that quantity.
        > I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably
        be
        > alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a
        large
        > budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go
        ahead
        > and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
        > inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the
        thin, cheap
        > plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to
        the
        > stage.
        >
        > Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
        > shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any
        suggestions!

        > Donna

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Theresa Roden

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
            In a message dated 12/8/2005 1:56:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            lanorte1@... writes:

            Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
            inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it?

            Here is a tutorial for making a lightweight armor. This site is fantasy, but
            the techniques would work for any style.

          • lanorte1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
              In a message dated 12/8/2005 12:15:06 PM Central Standard Time,
              closetsnog@... writes:
              I know this is kind of a long shot. DId you see the posts earlier about
              LARPing? If you can find a group near you they might possibly have some really
              nice leather armor that they could lend you. My sister is part of a group in
              England and they all build their armor and usually have lots of excess to let
              people borrow. I know its a long shot but perhaps! Though you can e-bay it as
              well and just do a search for LARP armor.
              Amy:

              I remember those posts, but my project wasn't on my radar at the time, and
              I'd already deleted them. Can you provide a bit more information, and I'll try
              to track them down? Thanks

              Donna

            • mystri777@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) has chapters world-wide. Their
                hand-made armor is breathtaking. I have not been active for several years &
                confess that I do not recall leather armor but the handmade chain mail as well as
                full body metal armor was authentically researched & executed to the period
                intended.

                I believe the headquarters is milpitas, CA. or inquire online. They have
                incredible resources. Jousting tournaments, coronations by candlelight, lute
                players - if it existed anywhere in the world from the fall of Rome to the
                invention of gunpowder someone in the SCA has researched & duplicated it.

                For a wonderful treat, go to one of their candlelight feasts - it will make a
                believer of you that romance & chivalry truly did exist.

                bobbye crawford
                old hickory, tn

              • lanorte1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                  Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I've sent emails to local SCA and
                  LARP chapters; hopefully I'll have some luck there. But if anyone has other
                  ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

                  Donna

                • Alexadbw@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                    lanorte1@... writes:

                    I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

                    alright) for a production happening in July.
                    What style/era are you doing?

                    _http://www.plasticlamellar.com/index.htm_

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                      In a message dated 12/8/2005 2:52:33 PM Central Standard Time,
                      Alexadbw@... writes:
                      I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

                      alright) for a production happening in July.
                      What style/era are you doing?
                      We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to have
                      distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                      Donna

                    • Alexadbw@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                        In a message dated 12/8/2005 4:08:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        lanorte1@... writes:

                        We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to
                        have
                        distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                        Thanks.That helps.

                      • Cat Devereaux
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                          >>But if anyone has other
                          ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

                          Faking armor tips here:
                          http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/ArmorCheats.htm . Also check the
                          sub tabs under there as well.

                          -Cat-