Building armor

  • catslave54
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2005
      Donna,
      I get all mine from Tobin Lakes
      http://www.tobinslake.com/studios/ It is all vacu-form,prefabricated
      and lightweight. But then,you cut it out and line it with very heavy
      felting using white glue,cover the edges with bias tape,and paint the
      whole works with metallic paint(which they also carry).I can walk you
      through it by snailmail if you really want to know how to do it.It
      wasn't that difficult.I think maybe I could handle "Henry V" now...
      I built a set of armor for Joan of Arc this way that was extremely
      realistic looking,and it was a very close-up studio stage! Mine have
      riveted leather buckles, and I made armored gloves to match!
      Their catalogue is a "must see".They have all kinds of
      helmets,like those difficult to find Conquistador and Viking ones,plus
      fixtures,bannisters,telephones,swords...Really something! Elizabeth
    • K Murphy
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2005
        Hi Donna: I also love the vacu-formed armor from Tobins Lake. I buy two sets and contact-cement them together for extra strength and durability, so I do not line them with felt. I also use contact cement and staples to attach cotton webbing w/velcro straps to connect the front chestplates to the back. I've only used the chest pieces and the helmets, but I've gotten very good results with regular spray paint. I did a solid coat first and then used the spray paint like an air brush to dust the edges etc. with browns and blacks. You get a very realistic used look. The only thing you won't get with EZ armor (I think that's what this product is called) is the bright metallic shine of new, real metal armor.

        I have some blank pieces left from a production years ago...if you're interested I can sell it to you for very little $ (plus the cost of postage.) I'd have to check on which pieces I have, but I know there are a number of uncut sheets still in the boxes.

        Kate Murphy
        costumerkate@...