Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for help with armor

  • Kathy Hannon (no longer Pawl)
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
      You might want to try to contact a local SCA or LARP (Live Action Role Playing) group in your area, they are always willing to help out regardless of the time period you are trying to re-create.

      The nasty plastic stuff is just that - nasty plastic. ick.

      lanorte1@... wrote:
      I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be
      alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a large
      budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go ahead
      and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
      inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the thin, cheap
      plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to the
      stage.

      Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
      shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

      Donna

      Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

      =^.^=

      "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
      It would improve the man,
      but it would deteriorate the cat."
      Mark Twain
      Please note that Mark Twain specified
      that the cross would improve the MAN,
      no need to include women in that.
      Women and cats are perfect as is.

    • Amy Burnham

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
          Try austinleatherworks. Nice stuff and they might give some decent prices
          for that quantity.
          > I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably
          be
          > alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a
          large
          > budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go
          ahead
          > and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
          > inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the
          thin, cheap
          > plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to
          the
          > stage.
          >
          > Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
          > shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any
          suggestions!

          > Donna

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Theresa Roden

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
              In a message dated 12/8/2005 1:56:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              lanorte1@... writes:

              Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
              inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it?

              Here is a tutorial for making a lightweight armor. This site is fantasy, but
              the techniques would work for any style.

            • lanorte1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                In a message dated 12/8/2005 12:15:06 PM Central Standard Time,
                closetsnog@... writes:
                I know this is kind of a long shot. DId you see the posts earlier about
                LARPing? If you can find a group near you they might possibly have some really
                nice leather armor that they could lend you. My sister is part of a group in
                England and they all build their armor and usually have lots of excess to let
                people borrow. I know its a long shot but perhaps! Though you can e-bay it as
                well and just do a search for LARP armor.
                Amy:

                I remember those posts, but my project wasn't on my radar at the time, and
                I'd already deleted them. Can you provide a bit more information, and I'll try
                to track them down? Thanks

                Donna

              • mystri777@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                  The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) has chapters world-wide. Their
                  hand-made armor is breathtaking. I have not been active for several years &
                  confess that I do not recall leather armor but the handmade chain mail as well as
                  full body metal armor was authentically researched & executed to the period
                  intended.

                  I believe the headquarters is milpitas, CA. or inquire online. They have
                  incredible resources. Jousting tournaments, coronations by candlelight, lute
                  players - if it existed anywhere in the world from the fall of Rome to the
                  invention of gunpowder someone in the SCA has researched & duplicated it.

                  For a wonderful treat, go to one of their candlelight feasts - it will make a
                  believer of you that romance & chivalry truly did exist.

                  bobbye crawford
                  old hickory, tn

                • lanorte1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                    Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I've sent emails to local SCA and
                    LARP chapters; hopefully I'll have some luck there. But if anyone has other
                    ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

                    Donna

                  • Alexadbw@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                      lanorte1@... writes:

                      I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

                      alright) for a production happening in July.
                      What style/era are you doing?

                      _http://www.plasticlamellar.com/index.htm_

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                        In a message dated 12/8/2005 2:52:33 PM Central Standard Time,
                        Alexadbw@... writes:
                        I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

                        alright) for a production happening in July.
                        What style/era are you doing?
                        We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to have
                        distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                        Donna

                      • Alexadbw@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                          In a message dated 12/8/2005 4:08:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                          lanorte1@... writes:

                          We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to
                          have
                          distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                          Thanks.That helps.

                        • Cat Devereaux
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                            >>But if anyone has other
                            ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

                            Faking armor tips here:
                            http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/ArmorCheats.htm . Also check the
                            sub tabs under there as well.

                            -Cat-