Looking for help with armor

  • lanorte1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 7, 2005
      I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be
      alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a large
      budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go ahead
      and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
      inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the thin, cheap
      plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to the
      stage.

      Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
      shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

      Donna

    • Kathy Hannon (no longer Pawl)
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
        You might want to try to contact a local SCA or LARP (Live Action Role Playing) group in your area, they are always willing to help out regardless of the time period you are trying to re-create.

        The nasty plastic stuff is just that - nasty plastic. ick.

        lanorte1@... wrote:
        I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be
        alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a large
        budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go ahead
        and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
        inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the thin, cheap
        plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to the
        stage.

        Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
        shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

        Donna

        Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

        =^.^=

        "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
        It would improve the man,
        but it would deteriorate the cat."
        Mark Twain
        Please note that Mark Twain specified
        that the cross would improve the MAN,
        no need to include women in that.
        Women and cats are perfect as is.

      • Amy Burnham
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
          I know this is kind of a long shot. DId you see the posts earlier about LARPing? If you can find a group near you they might possibly have some really nice leather armor that they could lend you. My sister is part of a group in England and they all build their armor and usually have lots of excess to let people borrow. I know its a long shot but perhaps! Though you can e-bay it as well and just do a search for LARP armor.

          ~Amy

          lanorte1@... wrote: I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be
          alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a large
          budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go ahead
          and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
          inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the thin, cheap
          plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to the
          stage.

          Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
          shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

          Donna

          Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

        • Randolph Keator
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
            Try austinleatherworks. Nice stuff and they might give some decent prices
            for that quantity.
            > I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably
            be
            > alright) for a production happening in July. Naturally, I don't have a
            large
            > budget to work with (about $1200 to costume 28 characters [I know, go
            ahead
            > and laugh]). Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
            > inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it? I don't want to use the
            thin, cheap
            > plastic stuff (ala Halloween costumes) as our audience is very close to
            the
            > stage.
            >
            > Another possibility I'm working on is trying to find some cheap football
            > shoulder pads on ebay, but not much luck so far. I'd appreciate any
            suggestions!

            > Donna

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Theresa Roden

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                In a message dated 12/8/2005 1:56:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                lanorte1@... writes:

                Can anyone offer any suggestions for inexpensive rentals or
                inexpensive/fairly simple ideas for making it?

                Here is a tutorial for making a lightweight armor. This site is fantasy, but
                the techniques would work for any style.

              • lanorte1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                  In a message dated 12/8/2005 12:15:06 PM Central Standard Time,
                  closetsnog@... writes:
                  I know this is kind of a long shot. DId you see the posts earlier about
                  LARPing? If you can find a group near you they might possibly have some really
                  nice leather armor that they could lend you. My sister is part of a group in
                  England and they all build their armor and usually have lots of excess to let
                  people borrow. I know its a long shot but perhaps! Though you can e-bay it as
                  well and just do a search for LARP armor.
                  Amy:

                  I remember those posts, but my project wasn't on my radar at the time, and
                  I'd already deleted them. Can you provide a bit more information, and I'll try
                  to track them down? Thanks

                  Donna

                • mystri777@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                    The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) has chapters world-wide. Their
                    hand-made armor is breathtaking. I have not been active for several years &
                    confess that I do not recall leather armor but the handmade chain mail as well as
                    full body metal armor was authentically researched & executed to the period
                    intended.

                    I believe the headquarters is milpitas, CA. or inquire online. They have
                    incredible resources. Jousting tournaments, coronations by candlelight, lute
                    players - if it existed anywhere in the world from the fall of Rome to the
                    invention of gunpowder someone in the SCA has researched & duplicated it.

                    For a wonderful treat, go to one of their candlelight feasts - it will make a
                    believer of you that romance & chivalry truly did exist.

                    bobbye crawford
                    old hickory, tn

                  • lanorte1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                      Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I've sent emails to local SCA and
                      LARP chapters; hopefully I'll have some luck there. But if anyone has other
                      ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

                      Donna

                    • Alexadbw@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                        lanorte1@... writes:

                        I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

                        alright) for a production happening in July.
                        What style/era are you doing?

                        _http://www.plasticlamellar.com/index.htm_

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                          In a message dated 12/8/2005 2:52:33 PM Central Standard Time,
                          Alexadbw@... writes:
                          I'm in search of some armor (preferably leather, but metal would probably be

                          alright) for a production happening in July.
                          What style/era are you doing?
                          We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to have
                          distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                          Donna

                        • Alexadbw@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                            In a message dated 12/8/2005 4:08:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            lanorte1@... writes:

                            We're doing Troilus & Cressida (set during the Trojan War), so I need to
                            have
                            distinctly different styles of armor for Trojans and Greek soldiers.

                            Thanks.That helps.

                          • Cat Devereaux
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                              >>But if anyone has other
                              ideas in the meantime, please keep them coming.

                              Faking armor tips here:
                              http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/ArmorCheats.htm . Also check the
                              sub tabs under there as well.

                              -Cat-