RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] line or underline?

  • Poppy Shell
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
      ALEXA: I've been costuming on my own, self taught, for many years, but
      recently I've done alot of costumes with a friend who is a college educated
      costumer. I've learned about the wonders of "flat-lining". With this type
      of lining, each individual cut pattern piece is lined with a nice thin
      fabric. We would serge each piece individually, then when they are sewn
      together with a big seam, it is very easy to "adjust" the costume later. It
      can be let out to the edge of the seam or taken in for a smaller fit very
      easily. I really LOVE flat-lining, rather than making a pieced-together
      lining that is a mirror image of the costume. I hope I'm describing this
      properly! Good luck. POPPY on the island of Kauai

      >From: Alexadbw@...
      >To: thecostumersmanifesto@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] line or underline?
      >Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:21:52 EST
      >
      >What do you prefer: to line a costume, or to underline? Both? Or does it
      >depend on the type of costume? The costumes I am thinking of are for Irish
      >dance, get lots of use(meaning lots of perspiration) ,are usually resold,
      >and will
      >sometimes need to be altered.
      >Thanks for your opinions.
      >
      >Alexa
      >Newbie, and accidental, wannabe costumer!

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 14, 2006
        Lining the costume depends upon the type of use it is going to get.
        If the costume is going to be heavly altered it is best to flat-line the cut pieces before they
        are stitched together.
        If you want to launder the clothes repeadedly, be sure to wash and shrink fabric before
        construction.
        Costumes made for resale however should have a more finished look inside and out.
        So i always add a drop lining to it.
        Think simple, make a lining easy to remove and alter.