Storage

  • Alexadbw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005
      Can someone direct me to information on a good storage system. I work for a
      large church, and the costume department is growing and really getting out of
      control. We have costumes of all types and all ages.

      Thanks for any help.
      Alexa

    • The Christiansens
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005
        I would be interested in tips for this as well. Since I took over the
        costuming of the Sunday School Christmas program 3 years ago, I have
        gradually weeded out the threadbare bathrobes, etc. and have been
        replacing them with "real" costumes. They have moved from boxes in the
        attic, to a hanging rod in the attic, to finally a storage closet on
        the main floor. My next task is to get permission to evict about 6
        feet of old homemade choir robes (which NO one ever remembers anyone
        using anymore!) to free up more rod space.

        Denise

        On Dec 7, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Alexadbw@... wrote:

        > Can someone direct me to information on a good storage system. I work
        > for a
        > large church, and the costume department is growing and really getting
        > out of
        > control. We have costumes of all types and all ages.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        > Alexa

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • The Christiansens
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005
          I am making a St. Lucia gown for a 9 YO girl to wear. I know what I
          want it to look like, but could not find a Big Three pattern that fit
          the image in my head, so I am stepping outside my comfort zone and
          going from scratch.

          I want it to be somewhat like a ren high-neck shirt. I am using the
          following sites to help me out:

          http://www.reddawn.net/costume/shirt.htm

          http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_shirt.htm

          Of course, these make a front-opening shirt. I am looking at making
          this with the opening slit in the back, and closing it with hooks and
          eyes. I would also like to skip gussets if at all possible. I have
          the sleeves trimmed, and the collar made, but have not yet cut the neck
          opening in the body piece. The sleeves will be gathered at the top of
          the shoulder.

          Any advice on gathering into the collar, since this is backwards to the
          usual way? Does it even make a difference? Are the sleeve gussets
          necessary for a slim girl, wearing it simply to serve cookies?

          Denise
        • Judith Cataldo
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005
            > Any advice on gathering into the collar, since this is backwards to the
            > usual way? Does it even make a difference? Are the sleeve gussets
            > necessary for a slim girl, wearing it simply to serve cookies?

            I've made many shirts of this style and also adapted the pattern for other
            designs. I don't think it matters how you gather the collar in. Sleeve
            gussets aren't necessary for short term wear or for children. If you use
            this pattern again you don't want to fuss with the gussets you can make that
            end of the sleeve curve out and set it into the body a little lower. This
            will accomplish much the same thing as the gusset.

            Judy
            judycat@...
            St Distaff Day in Westford 1/8/06
            http://home.earthlink.net/~judycat/index.html
            Colonial Spinning Bee 5/21/06
            A mingling of modern and historic spinning
            http://home.earthlink.net/~judycat/id2.html
          • tjchatham
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2005
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, The Christiansens
              <rtc@a...> wrote:

              > I am making a St. Lucia gown for a 9 YO girl to wear. I know what
              > want it to look like, but could not find a Big Three pattern that
              fit
              > the image in my head, so I am stepping outside my comfort zone and
              > going from scratch.
              >
              > I want it to be somewhat like a ren high-neck shirt. I am using
              the
              > following sites to help me out:
              >
              > http://www.reddawn.net/costume/shirt.htm
              >
              > http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_shirt.htm
              >
              > Of course, these make a front-opening shirt. I am looking at
              making
              > this with the opening slit in the back, and closing it with hooks
              and
              > eyes. I would also like to skip gussets if at all possible. I
              have
              > the sleeves trimmed, and the collar made, but have not yet cut the
              neck
              > opening in the body piece. The sleeves will be gathered at the
              top of
              > the shoulder.
              >
              > Any advice on gathering into the collar, since this is backwards
              to the
              > usual way? Does it even make a difference? Are the sleeve
              gussets
              > necessary for a slim girl, wearing it simply to serve cookies?
              >
              > Denise

              The usual St. Lucy costume is just any white dress or blouse and
              skirt of white wrapped with a bright red sash and worn with
              a "crown" of greenery (lingonberry twigs) with candles (today it's
              battery operated ones!). So it depends how "authentic" you want to
              get. I grew up surrounded by Scandinavians who celebrated this feast
              every year. Everyone... Swedes or Norwegians, etc. does it up a bit
              differently, but all wear white and have the head wreath of candles
              and pass out buns and sweets.

              Of course the "real" St. Lucy was a young Greek Christian girl
              living in Syracuse, Sicily in the late 3rd and early 4th Century, so
              a simple white tunic of some kind would be appropriate.

              Here are some websites that might help.
              http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=75
              St. Lucy in art: http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/stl01002.htm
              Swedish customs: http://www.americanswedishinst.org/special.htm
              scroll down about 1/4 of the way.
              or this one... it has the "crown" for sale.
              http://www.hemslojd.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
              page=HEM/CTGY/xmas_lucia

              Or: http://www.eurochristmas.com/geninfo/luciaday.htm

              Of course, St. Lucy's Day is Dec. 13th, so you don't have much time
              to think about it!
              Tess
            • Anne Redish
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                I am looking for inspiration or advice while I am comtemplating my
                seasonal (August) overhaul / cleanup of our storage and costume shop.
                We have too much stuff. Yes, just sort it out! I know! Easier
                said than done! Despite a diverse collection and 15 years in the
                same shop, it seems I never have in stock what we need, yet we have 2
                quite full spaces. I wish I could predict better what to keep and
                what to trash/donate. I am considering boxing more "sets" of stuff.
                And of course eliminating the stuff that never seems to get repaired,
                fits nobody, is stained etc!
                Certainly reply OFF GROUP if you have any suggestions, to spare the others!

                Anne Redish
                Department of Drama,
                Queen's University,
                Kingston, Ontario
                613-533-6000 x75359
                483-3245 cell
                ar11@...
              • Alexadbw@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                  In a message dated 7/6/2007 9:49:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  ar11@... writes:

                  Certainly reply OFF GROUP if you have any suggestions, to spare the others!

                  NO! NO! It seems that this subject comes up with regularity! You never know
                  when one suggestion will be just what someone needs! Those of us who deal
                  with smaller groups probably need more help/suggestions that those whose
                  resources are not so meager....and there seem to be plenty of us on this list! LOL

                  Alexa

                • Hope Wright
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                    Well, my only experience in storage isn't how you want to handle it.
                    I spent weeks and too many hours just getting things hung up and semi-
                    organized at one site, the biggest problem I faced was that too many
                    others had access. Unless you can restrict access, I eventually
                    decided it was a lost cause to stay organized, but of course getting
                    rid of stuff that isn't usable under any circumstances did help. So
                    my main suggestion is that you figure out a way to restrict access a
                    bit, not that you want to prevent others from using the costumes but
                    just to keep people from pawing through the storage area and messing
                    up your system. If you can't do that, don't worry too much about a
                    system as you won't even finish before it gets messed up again :-(

                    Then, everything was resolved in my case but not in a good way when
                    the entire storage area was flooded and they didn't get it pumped out
                    quickly so everything molded. Filled up several dumpsters.
                  • Susan Cassidy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                      How awful to go through all that effort and lose everything to mold!

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 7, 2007
                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Anne Redish <ar11@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I am looking for inspiration or advice while I am comtemplating my
                        > seasonal (August) overhaul / cleanup of our storage and costume shop.
                        > We have too much stuff. Yes, just sort it out! I know! Easier
                        > said than done!

                        Heh...there are so many things I would like to do with our storage
                        area. Unfortunately, it's in an insulated part of the building, and
                        the two times of year when the temperature in there isn't either
                        broiling hot or meat-storage-locker cold are when I'm in the middle of
                        dress rehearsals for either our summer shows or Halloween shows.

                        What I have done thus far--

                        I broke things up into categories. I've got a section for
                        period-specific costumes (mostly Old West, some 20's, 40's, 50's, and
                        60's); specific characters (Prince, Madonna, Shania Twain, Janet
                        Jackson (pre-'wardrobe malfunction', of course), etc etc; multiple
                        matching sets of outfits for specific shows (we've had a few small
                        jazz bands over the years); mens formal wear; women's dresses (by
                        type--formal sleeveless, with short sleeves, with long sleeves,
                        less-formal dresses); blouses (sorted with the same basic system);
                        suits and blazers; uniforms; vests; sweaters and sweatshirts;
                        'clubwear'; so on and so forth.

                        Shoes that we use a lot of are stored in plastic tubs (mens and womens
                        character shoes, etc), while others that are more specific are kept in
                        boxes with labels indicating which show they were in, who wore them,
                        and what size they are.

                        Wigs and most hats are in a separate room. This area is still under
                        revision. Wigs are left styled, stored on wig-heads on the shelf.
                        Hats are sorted by style (bowlers, tophats, fedoras, etc).

                        Ties and suspenders are on a rack, similar to the displays they use
                        for posters in the stores (I got sick of digging through boxes to find
                        the tie I wanted, and made something where I could look and see
                        exactly what tie I wanted)...sorted by style, then color/pattern.

                        Most accessories are sorted in boxes--dance trunks, bloomers, military
                        miscellaneous, etc etc.

                        Jewelry is sorted in a small closet off one of the storage rooms. The
                        back of the door has a cloth panel on it, and a few lengths of hanger
                        wire stretched across the door, so that earrings and brooches can be
                        displayed...makes it much easier for our designers to glance and see
                        if we've got something that will work for them or if we have to go
                        shopping again. Matched jewelry sets, elaborate necklaces, etc are
                        kept in labelled boxes. Casual stuff, like plastic beaded necklaces
                        and the like, are in plastic boxes, labelled by general category.

                        What I'm still planning to do--

                        Adapt the tie-rack idea to display belts...I'll probably use a hanger
                        rack for this, but will hang up belts in matching groups, within
                        larger categories (black dress belts, western-style belts, brown
                        belts, metal belts, etc)

                        Sometime when I'm feeling REALLY ambitious (ha ha ha!!!!), sort stuff
                        that's already broken into categories by size and label it, so I don't
                        have to spend half an hour looking for a pair of 34w tux pants...

                        Sort through all of our dance sneakers and get rid of the ones that
                        are beyond hope, or in desperate need of total reconstructive surgery
                        (change of directors meant a change in the policy regarding how often
                        we'd try and recycle shoes for shows...since we're getting new
                        sneakers on a fairly regular basis, now, there's no urgency to hang
                        onto the old ones).

                        Build more stands for the wig heads so I can fit more of them on the
                        shelves effectively. I've tried just using the heads, without a
                        stand...the wigs make them way too top-heavy (not that they were
                        particularly stable in the first place).

                        Every time I walk into the storage area, I think of another "I should
                        do this sometime" project, but these are the ones that have stuck. I
                        agree with the comment already made about needing to restrict
                        access...I've had several items disappear out of stock, and while I'm
                        relatively certain I know who took them, I've got no evidence of it,
                        so I can't really start making accusations (especially when a couple
                        of the cases in question happen to be former directors). I've also
                        got the aggravating circumstance of having designers come in, pull
                        50-75 items out of stock, and then decide they aren't going to use
                        them at all, which leaves me having to sort them all out (when that
                        happens for three shows at the same time, it leaves a lot of chaos
                        behind)--and that's just when they ask me to pull stuff. Sometimes
                        they'll come in and pull stuff without telling me (those of you who
                        design, but do not manage the wardrobe section for whom you're
                        designing, PLEASE don't ever do that...I realize it's a pain to
                        coordinate schedules, but you're putting your wardrobe manager through
                        hell every time something like that happens, especially when they walk
                        into a storage area and see a lot of stuff has been disturbed but have
                        no idea who did it--instant anxiety attack!!!)

                        My system would not be effective for some people...before I started
                        here, they tried storing stuff by the show it had been used in
                        before...which caused problems whenever they pulled something from a
                        past show to use in a new one. The producer finally reluctantly
                        agreed to me re-organizing storage...but didn't actually finally
                        accept the new system until she asked me to pull some dresses from a
                        show I'd never seen...I asked her to describe what the dresses looked
                        like, and returned from storage in just a couple of minutes with
                        exactly what she was asking about.

                        We also keep a photo archive of the costumes we've used in each
                        show...which is another thing I need to update (I need to go through
                        and note, in the archive, which items we still have in stock, which
                        items have been altered, and for which show, so they can see the
                        current state of it), and which items we've given away/sold/which ones
                        grew legs and wandered off...also, which items are so severely
                        distressed that they wouldn't make it through another season (because
                        we're getting to the point where we've got a few of those!) I hang
                        onto some of the most distinctive of those items to use as a guide if
                        we end up needing to build something similar. I HIGHLY recommend
                        this, it makes it much easier for you and the designers to sit down at
                        a book and look through it, instead of trying to guess at what this
                        item on the hanger will actually look like on a body (it also give
                        directors a place to skim through for inspiration when they can't
                        figure out how to describe what they want to a designer). Keep these
                        under careful supervision, as well...we lost several of ours (I
                        suspect they were loaned out to designers and never made it back to
                        us). I'd eventually like to get pictures of everything in stock,
                        sorted into a database, but that's a project for an off-season when
                        I'm not freelancing anything else (including projects for other
                        departments on the park!)

                        Probably a lot more than anyone wanted to hear...but I figure it will
                        give ideas to some, and if anyone's got suggestions for improvement,
                        I'm all ears (doesn't necessarily mean they'll get implemented right
                        away, but I don't expect to be here forever, and I'd like to leave
                        behind an area that's as easy as possible for my replacement to find
                        stuff).
                      • bonnie carter
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 8, 2007
                          The mention of ties made me want to share a quick idea
                          for ties. We keep ours on those wooden suit hangers
                          that have a wood dowel/metal wire section for the
                          pants. Each hanger is for a color and width (blue
                          narrow, blue med, blue wide, etc) and then we hang
                          them over the pants bar and clip them down. Then I
                          wrote with a marker on the edge that faces out what
                          the category was. They hang on the racks with all the
                          other costumes, take up very little room. And when
                          you need a tie, you can grab the whole hanger and hold
                          it up to the suit you're matching to find one you
                          like. The lengths are obvious too, because they're
                          all hung hanging.

                          that gives answers, not web links.
                        • Anne Redish
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 8, 2007
                            CURTIS: (and all)
                            Thanks for your comments so far. The long winded the better as far as
                            I am concerned since all ideas are food for thought! Keep them coming!

                            The access one I am REALLY going to work on! Tough in our situation
                            though. It will take a re-work of our 'mission' of "access to all"
                            which has really encouraged students to work costuming concepts into
                            their dramatic scene work! It makes them better at thinking through
                            the big picture and later better designers / directors / costumers.

                            I will try to come up with a "Access to all for this area only! "
                            Then there will be messy area not a messy whole! Formerly we had a
                            room that was exactly that -- a dress up 'box' for scene work.
                            Unfortunately that room had to be reallocated. I will think about
                            assigning a small dressing room again for that purpose when not in
                            use by a show. The racks could go elsewhere when we are using all the
                            dressing rooms. Keep it locked, for acess via one of our work study
                            students for certain hours. Mainly for use by the hoards of 100 and
                            200 students? ??? Other / Special items possibly available by request
                            ahead of time? 300 and 400's can use main storage stock ? A
                            priviledge of seniority? That would pull some stock out of the main
                            storage room too! Hmmmmm????? We'd have to label all these
                            reassigned items so we knew where to put them back !!! ???
                            Has anybody else done this?

                            Anne Redish
                            Department of Drama,
                            Queen's University,
                            Kingston, Ontario
                            613-533-6000 x75359
                            483-3245 cell
                            ar11@...
                          • ~lisa.s
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 8, 2007
                              Anne,

                              "Access" doesn't necessarily mean "to all, all the time". Think about
                              your storage as a costume rental business--because that's what it is. Do
                              you track who's got what piece(s), when they were taken, when they will
                              returned? What if the piece(s) are/were NOT returned? What are the
                              repercussions?

                              Your University has a library, doesn't it? Do they allow students total
                              access, at all times? Probably not. What happens when books are over
                              due, not returned? Books have a value, so do costumes. The policies
                              could be very similar.

                              You should also have an area that is totally off limits where
                              irreplaceable and/or very expensive to replace things are kept,
                              accessible only under cretin circumstances.

                              Tightening up your policy is going to mean more work--someone
                              responsible will have to open storage and approve what the student(s)
                              want to borrow; but the alternative is a messed up space, or worse, you
                              going down to pull a specific item only to find it missing or destroyed,
                              are worse.

                              Good luck!

                              ~lisa.s, who's been there, and just finished doing that: turning out
                              costume storage so it's spick, span and organized...somewhat...

                              ---

                              --
                              ~lisa.s * llsturts@...
                            • Loretta Armstrong
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 8, 2007
                                On the flip side of this, or to make this work.......
                                When I cleaned out my costume storage, I put aside a bunch of 'generic' costumes, retro threads, grandma clothes, coats, hats, etc, and GAVE them to the drama department. They were theirs, they didn't have to come check them out, and almost more importantly, they stopped bothering me for clothes for class. It freed up some time. Frequently when donations came in, I would briefly go through them and the rest would go to the actors.
                                Loretta

                                "~lisa.s" <llsturts@...> wrote: Anne,