line or underline?

  • Alexadbw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
      What do you prefer: to line a costume, or to underline? Both? Or does it
      depend on the type of costume? The costumes I am thinking of are for Irish
      dance, get lots of use(meaning lots of perspiration) ,are usually resold, and will
      sometimes need to be altered.
      Thanks for your opinions.

      Alexa
      Newbie, and accidental, wannabe costumer!

    • Poppy Shell
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
        ALEXA: I've been costuming on my own, self taught, for many years, but
        recently I've done alot of costumes with a friend who is a college educated
        costumer. I've learned about the wonders of "flat-lining". With this type
        of lining, each individual cut pattern piece is lined with a nice thin
        fabric. We would serge each piece individually, then when they are sewn
        together with a big seam, it is very easy to "adjust" the costume later. It
        can be let out to the edge of the seam or taken in for a smaller fit very
        easily. I really LOVE flat-lining, rather than making a pieced-together
        lining that is a mirror image of the costume. I hope I'm describing this
        properly! Good luck. POPPY on the island of Kauai

        >From: Alexadbw@...
        >To: thecostumersmanifesto@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] line or underline?
        >Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:21:52 EST
        >
        >What do you prefer: to line a costume, or to underline? Both? Or does it
        >depend on the type of costume? The costumes I am thinking of are for Irish
        >dance, get lots of use(meaning lots of perspiration) ,are usually resold,
        >and will
        >sometimes need to be altered.
        >Thanks for your opinions.
        >
        >Alexa
        >Newbie, and accidental, wannabe costumer!

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2006
          Lining the costume depends upon the type of use it is going to get.
          If the costume is going to be heavly altered it is best to flat-line the cut pieces before they
          are stitched together.
          If you want to launder the clothes repeadedly, be sure to wash and shrink fabric before
          construction.
          Costumes made for resale however should have a more finished look inside and out.
          So i always add a drop lining to it.
          Think simple, make a lining easy to remove and alter.