  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2005
      > From: lily marlene <funky_costumes@...>
      > Subject: Working Overseas and get paid
      >
      > My probem started when people should pay me. I was
      > here as a turist, not as a worker, so I hadn't Social
      > Security Number.
      >
      > My question is, how freelancers, from England mostly,
      > or France, get paid when they came to the States to
      > work in a movie, photoshoot or theater?. How Stylists
      > overseas get paid when they came to the States to work
      > just for a specific thing?

      I don't know, since I haven't been a tourist to the
      States...but Sweden had work visas when I visited there.
      You had to tell them what kind of work you were going to
      do, I believe, and keep them updated if you were changing
      jobs, etc. But you can apply for a work permit, which
      gives you an equivalent to a Social Security Number and
      enables you to be paid, legally, regardless of who's hired
      you or what you've been hired for.

      The problem comes when you start getting hired before you
      get a permit (we had a kid from South Africa that had to
      drop out of our Halloween show this year...fantastic
      dancer, but no work permit and the parent company didn't
      want to deal with the legal headaches of trying to work
      around it until he got one, so they told us we couldn't
      have him.)

      Now, as far as where to get a work permit...I haven't the
      slightest idea. I would imagine the Post Office, that was
      where I had to go to apply for my passport. In Sweden
      (sorry to keep throwing that reference out, it's the only
      place I've been overseas), you went to the local police
      station for such things.

      If you're in the country legally, I would guess it wouldn't
      be too difficult to acquire a permit...but I don't know;
      and the unfortunate 9/11 catastrophe has created a lot of
      hesitation in the system that wasn't there before (I had a
      friend lose out on an internship for a California aerospace
      company because she couldn't pass her security
      clearance...because she'd lived in France for a couple of
      years and couldn't remember all her addresses and
      roommates.) If you're visiting the States with ANY
      intention of working, I'd say apply for the permit...a lot
      of people are willing to go 'under the table' to pay
      someone in those situations, but a lot of them aren't, as
      well...and to me, it's just not worth the worry of whether
      or not a prospective job will come through simply because I
      didn't fill out yet another form...

      Curtis Kidd

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com