Working Overseas and get paid

  • lily marlene
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2005
      When I came to NYC from Spain for the first time I
      come to stay for three months just to know the country
      and travel around.
      I was lucky then and I met people that work in the
      movie industry.
      I started to work as a Wardrobe Assistant with them
      which means I didn't earn any money but I learnt a lot
      about the industry. I made almost five features and
      some shorts.
      Then people started to hire me to work as a Wardrobe
      Designer or Wardrobe Supervisor due to my experience.

      My probem started when people should pay me. I was
      here as a turist, not as a worker, so I hadn't Social
      Security Number.

      My question is, how freelancers, from England mostly,
      or France, get paid when they came to the States to
      work in a movie, photoshoot or theater?. How Stylists
      overseas get paid when they came to the States to work
      just for a specific thing?
      Working in movies means that there's no company to
      sponsor you as you work as a freelancer not as a
      'worker for a company'.

      So I don't know which way take.
      Any suggestion, help. info?

      Thanks a lot