Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Rhumba Shirts?

  • vickdamom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2005
      Click here: Google Image Result for
      http://www.suzisruffles.com/images/fiesta-rhumba.jpg

      try this site ...vicky

    • spidra@speakeasy.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
        > -----Original Message-----
        > From: vickdamom@... [mailto:vickdamom@...]
        > Sent: Monday, December 5, 2005 09:25 PM
        > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Rhumba Shirts?
        >
        > Click here: Google Image Result for
        > http://www.suzisruffles.com/images/fiesta-rhumba.jpg

        Thanks, Vicky, but that's not what I'm talking about. (I'm surprised that style is now called "rhumba shirt".) I'm talking old school latin musician rhumba shirt such as the one shown here: http://easycarts.net/ecarts/CATHYSCLOSET/images/desiorch.gif
      • K Murphy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
          Oh, geez, I have wanted to build some of these for so long. I just have never had a show where I could talk the director into it! I love ruffles, and I love these shirts. I've also heard them called Conga shirts.

          I've seen one up close, but not on the inside, and I've never seen a pattern offered for them. Why don't you try buying some really inexpensive, stiff, lightweight fabric, and sew ruffles every which way on a basic sleeve shape until you figure it out? I'm pretty sure the ruffles need to be sewn into a seam to get the right effect...which means a graduated row of ruffles in between every inch or so of fabric. And the whole sleeve most likely needs to be flatted to something with some guts so it doesn't lose its shape. And maybe there's some internal support around the arm as well, so the sleeves won't pull off the shoulder.

          Just guessing, here! Anybody out there help build Spamalot?
          Anyone ever make these?

          spidra@... wrote:
          I've wanted a rhumba shirt for years. You know the great big tiered ruffled sleeve things? Yet when I do a web search for one, I get tons of hits on kids' clothes. I've never seen a pattern for a rhumba shirt. Does anyone know where I can get a pattern as well as a ready made rhumba shirt?

          Much obliged,

          Spidra Webster