Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Phantom Costume Ring Updated:)

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002

      Speaking of which, any idea what a Watch costume might consist of? I know they wear a breastplate and a helmet, but what goes underneath? I've only read a few of the books so far, so I probably missed a lot of details. It seems like in any clothing descriptions I've read of any of the characters, he's borrowed details from every historical period imaginable, and then threw in a few extras. Which is kinda neat, but makes it very difficult to make assumptions. :)

      I love how he mixes time periods :-D  I think his most prominant would be English Tudor, give or take a hundred years.  But anyhow-have you ever been to his official website?  It's called the L-space Web or something like that.  I'll try to find the exact address for you.  But the reason I ask is that you can buy figurines of most of his characters, and the pictures of them show some pretty good detail.  I guess that when I read it, I pictured Corp. Carrot in an almost Roman styled getup.  A tunic beneath the breastplate maybe.

      Well, I am gonna go look for that site!  Buh bye!

      -Jessie

      I found that address: http://lugh.tuatha.org/lspace/ click on merchandise.  Enjoy!

      -Jessie

      - - - - - - - - - -

    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002

        I know that there was a big discussion about sergers not to long ago, but I have anothr question.  Has anyone ever used those tiny sergers?  I've seen a lot of them on e-bay, and was wondering if they are any good.  How much abuse can they stand up to?  Probably not much....  I'd really like to get a serger, but I am a poor college student who can't afford a big fancy new one.  Hope to hear from someone soon!

        Thanks!

        Jessie

        - - - - - - - - - -

      • Terri Lee
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002
          I have to admit I went that route and paid for it in
          the long run. I personally can not advise it. Nothing
          but one headache after another.
          I eventually started putting away 10.00 a week and
          bought one from Hancock fabrics for 350.00 I bought
          the New Home brand and LOVE it. I also have a New Home
          sewing machine that I sew on every day, and have for
          the last 6 years and have NEVER had a problem with it.
          Terri
          --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

          > I know that there was a big discussion about sergers
          > not to long ago, but I have anothr question. Has
          > anyone ever used those tiny sergers? I've seen a
          > lot of them on e-bay, and was wondering if they are
          > any good. How much abuse can they stand up to?
          > Probably not much.... I'd really like to get a
          > serger, but I am a poor college student who can't
          > afford a big fancy new one. Hope to hear from
          > someone soon!
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Jessie
          >

          > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood:
          > Prince of Thieves
          > - - - - - - - - - -
          > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular
          > hang on for a long time. Deaf as posts, most of
          > them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
          > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind
          > of a joke.*"
          >
          > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't
          > prevent composers from hearing the music. It
          > prevents them from hearing the distractions.
          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Becky's naked email
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002
            --- Terri Lee <terbear28_2000@...> wrote:
            > I have to admit I went that route and paid for it in
            > the long run. I personally can not advise it.
            > Nothing
            > but one headache after another.
            > I eventually started putting away 10.00 a week and
            > bought one from Hancock fabrics for 350.00 I bought
            > the New Home brand and LOVE it.

            When I was very poor, I put my Bernette on layaway. I
            knew once I had it, it would pay for itself. And it
            has, many times over. A quality serger should last
            for decades.

            Becky

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • Sheila
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 9, 2002
              >Re: Mini sergers?

              A friend of mine had one, and she couldn't get it
              re-threaded, so once the white it came with was gone
              so was the machine's usefullness. Also it does not
              have a blade to cut the excess material with, so the
              bound edges tend to fray, even with the overcasting.
              I got my serger thru Fingerhut, that way I could pay
              a little a month without worrying that I'd lose it if
              I couldn't make a lay-away payment.
              http://www.fingerhut.com
              My only complaint is that I use it so much my blade
              gets dull :)

              Sheila

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • Mary Ann Shupe
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 10, 2002
                My husband bought me one, dear man, but it wasn't worth much. You might look for a used one, (on line) or a display model. We found a new one at Wal-mart for $100.00 that had been a display model , and though we had to spend another $50.00 or so dollars to get the powercord/foot pedal, it was worth the difference in money. Also many companies will do a special financing, six months same as cash deal.
                Good luck,

                Mary Ann

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 11, 2002

                  I want to unsubscribe from this group. Thank you very much

                  Corinna

                  >From: Siebel San
                  >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Phantom Costume Ring Updated:)
                  >Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:06:00 -0800 (PST)
                  >

                  >I'd like to see that, too. I played around with the idea of doing a moulin rouge costume, but I chickened out. Maybe if I see what other people are doing, I'll get inspired. And I haven't seen it since it was in the theatre (reeally need to get a dvd player)
                  >
                  >I would really like to make the costumes, but right now my main concern is with making the prototypes for my webpage. Don't worry though :-) Pretty soon I'll get sick of doing straight medieval and will feel the need for some variety. Let me know if you feel inspired.
                  >

                  >Oo, more Discworld fans. I also read MAA recently, and was surprised by
                  >how amusing the Watch is.
                  >
                  >Speaking of which, any idea what a Watch costume might consist of? I know they wear a breastplate and a helmet, but what goes underneath? I've only read a few of the books so far, so I probably missed a lot of details. It seems like in any clothing descriptions I've read of any of the characters, he's borrowed details from every historical period imaginable, and then threw in a few extras. Which is kinda neat, but makes it very difficult to make assumptions. :)
                  >

                  >I love how he mixes time periods :-D I think his most prominant would be English Tudor, give or take a hundred years. But anyhow-have you ever been to his official website? It's called the L-space Web or something like that. I'll try to find the exact address for you. But the reason I ask is that you can buy figurines of most of his characters, and the pictures of them show some pretty good detail. I guess that when I read it, I pictured Corp. Carrot in an almost Roman styled getup. A tunic beneath the breastplate maybe.
                  >
                  >Well, I am gonna go look for that site! Buh bye!
                  >
                  >-Jessie
                  >

                  >"I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
                  > - - - - - - - - - -
                  >"I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a long time. Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind of a joke.*"
                  >
                  >*And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't prevent composers from hearing the music. It prevents them from hearing the distractions.
                  >Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!

                  Downloaden Sie MSN Explorer kostenlos unter http://explorer.msn.de/intl.asp.
                • neimhaille
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                    Ok, so I finally did it. I now have a costume ring I have been
                    planning on since.. well I posed the question a few months ago on a
                    few costume sites, and only got one reply so it's been on the back
                    burner.. thinking people weren't interested:)
                    http://frazzledfrau.tripod.com/moulinrouge
                    I've got a list of pages of people and their costumes.. I had more
                    but this is all I can find again. I know there was a group of
                    chickies who did a Lady Marmalade staged thing, so I'll be looking
                    for that.

                    If you do not wish to be listed, and I have already listed you I
                    will take down the link. So far I've only linked to pages I found in
                    google or where a link was sent to a list with public archives etc.

                    Well off to go set 30 grommets in my pink cossie:)

                    There are only a few original costume links, as I am working on
                    finding all the fabulous galleries. I'd be willing to host images if
                    people would like to send me images :).. big grin:)

                    michaela

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "neimhaille" <vcairistiona@h...>