Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] working at fashion shoot

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2005
      expect to hurry up and wait. From my experience in this type of work they
      want it yesterday then you wait for hours sometimes before anything happens.
      It is fun but it is exhausting and as far as creativity goes there is not
      much satisfaction there. You are the runner as an assistant, you will
      probably have to do alot of running around, placing wardrobe in rooms,
      picking up after the day is done and maybe laundering. I dont know what
      your particular shoot will be like but I would say as I said in the
      beginning expect to hurry up and wait alot! But pay is decent and usually
      you have meals on set which you dont have to pay for.

      > ALOHA: I am a theater costumer on the small island of Kauai. I have been
      > contacted to work as a wardrobe assistant for a catalog fashion shoot from a
      > big NYC department store. I know alot about costuming, quick changes and
      > emergency safety pin repairs, but I must admit I've never done this sort of
      > thing before. I will be working for the stylist and his assistant. These
      > will be mostly Male models for their spring/summer catolog.
      > ANY hints out there on what will be expected of me, what supplies I should
      > bring and what is normal pay for this (they are paying $175 daily, with long
      > days and three evening shoots for about two weeks, one day off in the
      > middle). It sounds fun, but exhausting - would appreciate any heads up I
      > could get from you all. Thanks. Poppy on Kauai
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • K Murphy
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2005
        Hi Poppy:

        Around Chicago $300/day is kind of a minimum, but that's negotiable for a longer job, and I can't speak for Hawaii.

        Unless you can contact the stylist in advance, I would advise you to take everything you could possibly need with you, just in case. You can always leave it in your car to avoid looking stupid if you don't need it, and if you do need it...well, you won't look stupid.

        I remember a job I did for Disney once, as an assistant to an assistant...I had to do everything from shop the fabric, appear on the set to do measurements, and finish the drapes all in one day before they "lost the light"...all based on a couple words over the phone, "Can you make some bunting for us?" from the lady who hired me.

        Take a steamer and/or iron, tons of safety pins, a sewing machine, gaffers tape, etc. etc. etc. Early in my career I caught a big job with Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. (anyone remember "Up Up and Away????) and if I hadn't been prepared, I think my career would have ended right then and there.

        Most probably you will be doing what no one else wants to do all day, maybe even drying dupicates in a dryer all day...but what the heck...it's a job, and more fun than "You want fries with that," right? Do whatever they want with a smile on your face, as long as they are paying you well.

        Good Luck!

        Kate Murphy

        Poppy Shell <poppyshell@...> wrote:
        ALOHA: I am a theater costumer on the small island of Kauai. I have been
        contacted to work as a wardrobe assistant for a catalog fashion shoot from a
        big NYC department store. I know alot about costuming, quick changes and
        emergency safety pin repairs, but I must admit I've never done this sort of
        thing before. I will be working for the stylist and his assistant. These
        will be mostly Male models for their spring/summer catolog.
        ANY hints out there on what will be expected of me, what supplies I should
        bring and what is normal pay for this (they are paying $175 daily, with long
        days and three evening shoots for about two weeks, one day off in the
        middle). It sounds fun, but exhausting - would appreciate any heads up I
        could get from you all. Thanks. Poppy on Kauai

        Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center