working at fashion shoot

  • Poppy Shell
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
      ALOHA: I am a theater costumer on the small island of Kauai. I have been
      contacted to work as a wardrobe assistant for a catalog fashion shoot from a
      big NYC department store. I know alot about costuming, quick changes and
      emergency safety pin repairs, but I must admit I've never done this sort of
      thing before. I will be working for the stylist and his assistant. These
      will be mostly Male models for their spring/summer catolog.
      ANY hints out there on what will be expected of me, what supplies I should
      bring and what is normal pay for this (they are paying $175 daily, with long
      days and three evening shoots for about two weeks, one day off in the
      middle). It sounds fun, but exhausting - would appreciate any heads up I
      could get from you all. Thanks. Poppy on Kauai
    • Randolph Keator
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2005
        Depending on your experience level and what your normal wages( or what you
        believe your time to be worth) that day rate seems quite low to me. Are they
        picking up all your expenses ? Will you be mentioned in any way in some of
        the layout right-ups ? Long days for this type of work can mean a start as
        early as 5-6am and lasting til evening. 12-14 hr days are not uncommon. Your
        job most likely will be to make the clothes/costumes look good on the models
        before the stylists and photographers do their handiwork.
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2005
          I work as a Costume Designer, Wardrobe Stylist and Assistant Wardrobe
          Stylist.

          Poppy – I assume this is your first commercial catalog shoot and you are
          assisting a lead Wardrobe Stylist based on the fact you say ‘assistant’ in
          your post below. If that is correct then $175 a day is about right for your
          first shoot. After you do several commercial shoots like that one your rate
          could go up to $250/day to be an Assistant. If you are the lead Wardrobe
          Stylist you can make anywhere from $300/day - $1000/day depending on the
          type of job it is. Commercials pay the most money usually, with catalog
          shoots, ad shoots, and music videos paying less.

          Did the Wardrobe Stylist hire you or did someone else on the job hire you?
          If someone else did, find out who the lead Wardrobe Stylist is and contact
          them. Most likely they will NOT expect you to bring any kind of supplies
          since they will have a “kit” containing everything from a steamer to needle
          and thread. Since you are assisting, you will most likely be tagging
          clothing for each model, then steaming the clothing for wear, assisting the
          models getting dressed and running items back and forth for the Wardrobe
          Stylist while he/she is “on-set”. You may be asked for your opinion or for
          help making accessory and shoe choices unless they have all of that already
          decided upon. As an assistant to the Wardrobe Stylist be prepared to do
          everything they ask without question. Shoots can be rather stressful and
          high pressure. Wait to ask questions about what they did or why the Stylist
          did things a certain way until the lunch or dinner break. Also, observe,
          observe, observe. It’s the best way to learn on the set of anything.

          Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. I’d be happy to
          help.
          ~Jenni

          > ALOHA: I am a theater costumer on the small island of Kauai. I have been
          > contacted to work as a wardrobe assistant for a catalog fashion shoot
          .
          > ANY hints out there on what will be expected of me, what supplies I should
          > bring and what is normal pay for this (they are paying $175 daily, with
          long
          > days and three evening shoots for about two weeks, one day off in the
          > middle).

          Performing arts camp
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Performing+arts+camp&w1=Performing+arts
          +camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+for+
          the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=PqRfg8xh0f_vJ0n
          dIhEwHg>
          Performing arts schools
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Performing+arts+schools&w1=Performing+a
          rts+camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+f
          or+the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=kF3aG7APCDIh
          Ble9tApPhg>
          School of performing arts
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=School+of+performing+arts&w1=Performing
          +arts+camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center
          +for+the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=bdLGm9PCNI
          eVTyeA_rsBxA>
          Center for the performing arts
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Center+for+the+performing+arts&w1=Perfo
          rming+arts+camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=C
          enter+for+the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=Ye-YS
          F16dOQeAR30xzJo_A%20>
          Performing arts center
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Performing+arts+center&w1=Performing+ar
          ts+camp&w2=Performing+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+fo
          r+the+performing+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=kyHQUanNlUWu6
          0Td1LXXHA>

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group " TheCostumersManifesto
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto> " on the web.

          e>

          _____

        • Melissa
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2005
            expect to hurry up and wait. From my experience in this type of work they
            want it yesterday then you wait for hours sometimes before anything happens.
            It is fun but it is exhausting and as far as creativity goes there is not
            much satisfaction there. You are the runner as an assistant, you will
            probably have to do alot of running around, placing wardrobe in rooms,
            picking up after the day is done and maybe laundering. I dont know what
            your particular shoot will be like but I would say as I said in the
            beginning expect to hurry up and wait alot! But pay is decent and usually
            you have meals on set which you dont have to pay for.

            > ALOHA: I am a theater costumer on the small island of Kauai. I have been
            > contacted to work as a wardrobe assistant for a catalog fashion shoot from a
            > big NYC department store. I know alot about costuming, quick changes and
            > emergency safety pin repairs, but I must admit I've never done this sort of
            > thing before. I will be working for the stylist and his assistant. These
            > will be mostly Male models for their spring/summer catolog.
            > ANY hints out there on what will be expected of me, what supplies I should
            > bring and what is normal pay for this (they are paying $175 daily, with long
            > days and three evening shoots for about two weeks, one day off in the
            > middle). It sounds fun, but exhausting - would appreciate any heads up I
            > could get from you all. Thanks. Poppy on Kauai
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • K Murphy
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2005
              Hi Poppy:

              Around Chicago $300/day is kind of a minimum, but that's negotiable for a longer job, and I can't speak for Hawaii.

              Unless you can contact the stylist in advance, I would advise you to take everything you could possibly need with you, just in case. You can always leave it in your car to avoid looking stupid if you don't need it, and if you do need it...well, you won't look stupid.

              I remember a job I did for Disney once, as an assistant to an assistant...I had to do everything from shop the fabric, appear on the set to do measurements, and finish the drapes all in one day before they "lost the light"...all based on a couple words over the phone, "Can you make some bunting for us?" from the lady who hired me.

              Take a steamer and/or iron, tons of safety pins, a sewing machine, gaffers tape, etc. etc. etc. Early in my career I caught a big job with Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. (anyone remember "Up Up and Away????) and if I hadn't been prepared, I think my career would have ended right then and there.

              Most probably you will be doing what no one else wants to do all day, maybe even drying dupicates in a dryer all day...but what the heck...it's a job, and more fun than "You want fries with that," right? Do whatever they want with a smile on your face, as long as they are paying you well.

              Good Luck!

              Kate Murphy

              Poppy Shell <poppyshell@...> wrote:
              ALOHA: I am a theater costumer on the small island of Kauai. I have been
              contacted to work as a wardrobe assistant for a catalog fashion shoot from a
              big NYC department store. I know alot about costuming, quick changes and
              emergency safety pin repairs, but I must admit I've never done this sort of
              thing before. I will be working for the stylist and his assistant. These
              will be mostly Male models for their spring/summer catolog.
              ANY hints out there on what will be expected of me, what supplies I should
              bring and what is normal pay for this (they are paying $175 daily, with long
              days and three evening shoots for about two weeks, one day off in the
              middle). It sounds fun, but exhausting - would appreciate any heads up I
              could get from you all. Thanks. Poppy on Kauai

              Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center