Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Phantom Costume Ring Updated:)

  • Jeni
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002
      > I am planning on making some moulin rougish costumes in the future.
      > Been watching the movie, pausing it, and taking notes and making
      > sketches. I am in the process of building my website (I'd give you the
      > address but there is absolutely nothing on it now) dedicated mostly to
      > medieval/renaissance/fantasy. However, when I get some more time, I may
      > start adding other time periods, i.e. moulin rouge, titanic era, etc.

      I'd like to see that, too. I played around with the idea of doing a
      moulin rouge costume, but I chickened out. Maybe if I see what other
      people are doing, I'll get inspired. And I haven't seen it since it was
      in the theatre (reeally need to get a dvd player)

      > Ahh yes, Pterry.. gotta love him, rereading Wyrd Sisters for the
      > umpteenth time. Love this line from maskerade though:
      > "I'm sure people wouldn't come into the Opera House if there was any
      > chance of a chandelier dropping on their heads..." as this is exactly
      > what people expect in Phantom;)
      >
      > I just finished Men at Arms. I didn't think I'd like the characters of
      > the Watch (The Witches are my favorite!), but it turned out to be really
      > good. :-D Always happy to find another Pratchett fan!
      > My favorite quote from Men at Arms:
      >
      > "...It takes a very special and strong minded kind of atheist to jump up
      > and down with their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout 'oh
      > random-fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!' or 'Aargh,
      > primitive-and-outmoded-concept-on-a-crutch!'"
      >
      > There is more before it, but that pretty much sums up the gist of it :-)

      Oo, more Discworld fans. I also read MAA recently, and was surprised by
      how amusing the Watch is.

      Speaking of which, any idea what a Watch costume might consist of? I
      know they wear a breastplate and a helmet, but what goes underneath?
      I've only read a few of the books so far, so I probably missed a lot of
      details. It seems like in any clothing descriptions I've read of any of
      the characters, he's borrowed details from every historical period
      imaginable, and then threw in a few extras. Which is kinda neat, but
      makes it very difficult to make assumptions. :)

      Jeni.

      --

      "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is
      the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

      -William Pitt
    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002

        I'd like to see that, too. I played around with the idea of doing a moulin rouge costume, but I chickened out. Maybe if I see what other people are doing, I'll get inspired. And I haven't seen it since it was in the theatre (reeally need to get a dvd player)

        I would really like to make the costumes, but right now my main concern is with making the prototypes for my webpage.  Don't worry though :-) Pretty soon I'll get sick of doing straight medieval and will feel the need for some variety.  Let me know if you feel inspired.

        Oo, more Discworld fans. I also read MAA recently, and was surprised by
        how amusing the Watch is.

        Speaking of which, any idea what a Watch costume might consist of? I know they wear a breastplate and a helmet, but what goes underneath? I've only read a few of the books so far, so I probably missed a lot of details. It seems like in any clothing descriptions I've read of any of the characters, he's borrowed details from every historical period imaginable, and then threw in a few extras. Which is kinda neat, but makes it very difficult to make assumptions. :)

        I love how he mixes time periods :-D  I think his most prominant would be English Tudor, give or take a hundred years.  But anyhow-have you ever been to his official website?  It's called the L-space Web or something like that.  I'll try to find the exact address for you.  But the reason I ask is that you can buy figurines of most of his characters, and the pictures of them show some pretty good detail.  I guess that when I read it, I pictured Corp. Carrot in an almost Roman styled getup.  A tunic beneath the breastplate maybe.

        Well, I am gonna go look for that site!  Buh bye!

        -Jessie

        - - - - - - - - - -

      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002

[...]

          I found that address: http://lugh.tuatha.org/lspace/ click on merchandise.  Enjoy!

          -Jessie

          - - - - - - - - - -

        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002

            I know that there was a big discussion about sergers not to long ago, but I have anothr question.  Has anyone ever used those tiny sergers?  I've seen a lot of them on e-bay, and was wondering if they are any good.  How much abuse can they stand up to?  Probably not much....  I'd really like to get a serger, but I am a poor college student who can't afford a big fancy new one.  Hope to hear from someone soon!

            Thanks!

            Jessie

            - - - - - - - - - -

          • Terri Lee
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002
              I have to admit I went that route and paid for it in
              the long run. I personally can not advise it. Nothing
              but one headache after another.
              I eventually started putting away 10.00 a week and
              bought one from Hancock fabrics for 350.00 I bought
              the New Home brand and LOVE it. I also have a New Home
              sewing machine that I sew on every day, and have for
              the last 6 years and have NEVER had a problem with it.
              Terri
              --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

              > I know that there was a big discussion about sergers
              > not to long ago, but I have anothr question. Has
              > anyone ever used those tiny sergers? I've seen a
              > lot of them on e-bay, and was wondering if they are
              > any good. How much abuse can they stand up to?
              > Probably not much.... I'd really like to get a
              > serger, but I am a poor college student who can't
              > afford a big fancy new one. Hope to hear from
              > someone soon!
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Jessie
              >

              > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood:
              > Prince of Thieves
              > - - - - - - - - - -
              > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular
              > hang on for a long time. Deaf as posts, most of
              > them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
              > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind
              > of a joke.*"
              >
              > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't
              > prevent composers from hearing the music. It
              > prevents them from hearing the distractions.
              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • Becky's naked email
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 8, 2002
                --- Terri Lee <terbear28_2000@...> wrote:
                > I have to admit I went that route and paid for it in
                > the long run. I personally can not advise it.
                > Nothing
                > but one headache after another.
                > I eventually started putting away 10.00 a week and
                > bought one from Hancock fabrics for 350.00 I bought
                > the New Home brand and LOVE it.

                When I was very poor, I put my Bernette on layaway. I
                knew once I had it, it would pay for itself. And it
                has, many times over. A quality serger should last
                for decades.

                Becky

                http://greetings.yahoo.com
              • Sheila
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 9, 2002
                  >Re: Mini sergers?

                  A friend of mine had one, and she couldn't get it
                  re-threaded, so once the white it came with was gone
                  so was the machine's usefullness. Also it does not
                  have a blade to cut the excess material with, so the
                  bound edges tend to fray, even with the overcasting.
                  I got my serger thru Fingerhut, that way I could pay
                  a little a month without worrying that I'd lose it if
                  I couldn't make a lay-away payment.
                  http://www.fingerhut.com
                  My only complaint is that I use it so much my blade
                  gets dull :)

                  Sheila

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                • Mary Ann Shupe
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 10, 2002
                    My husband bought me one, dear man, but it wasn't worth much. You might look for a used one, (on line) or a display model. We found a new one at Wal-mart for $100.00 that had been a display model , and though we had to spend another $50.00 or so dollars to get the powercord/foot pedal, it was worth the difference in money. Also many companies will do a special financing, six months same as cash deal.
                    Good luck,

                    Mary Ann

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 11, 2002

                      I want to unsubscribe from this group. Thank you very much

                      Corinna

                      >From: Siebel San
                      >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Phantom Costume Ring Updated:)
                      >Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:06:00 -0800 (PST)
                      >

                      >I'd like to see that, too. I played around with the idea of doing a moulin rouge costume, but I chickened out. Maybe if I see what other people are doing, I'll get inspired. And I haven't seen it since it was in the theatre (reeally need to get a dvd player)
                      >
                      >I would really like to make the costumes, but right now my main concern is with making the prototypes for my webpage. Don't worry though :-) Pretty soon I'll get sick of doing straight medieval and will feel the need for some variety. Let me know if you feel inspired.
                      >

                      >Oo, more Discworld fans. I also read MAA recently, and was surprised by
                      >how amusing the Watch is.
                      >
                      >Speaking of which, any idea what a Watch costume might consist of? I know they wear a breastplate and a helmet, but what goes underneath? I've only read a few of the books so far, so I probably missed a lot of details. It seems like in any clothing descriptions I've read of any of the characters, he's borrowed details from every historical period imaginable, and then threw in a few extras. Which is kinda neat, but makes it very difficult to make assumptions. :)
                      >

                      >I love how he mixes time periods :-D I think his most prominant would be English Tudor, give or take a hundred years. But anyhow-have you ever been to his official website? It's called the L-space Web or something like that. I'll try to find the exact address for you. But the reason I ask is that you can buy figurines of most of his characters, and the pictures of them show some pretty good detail. I guess that when I read it, I pictured Corp. Carrot in an almost Roman styled getup. A tunic beneath the breastplate maybe.
                      >
                      >Well, I am gonna go look for that site! Buh bye!
                      >
                      >-Jessie
                      >

                      >"I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
                      > - - - - - - - - - -
                      >"I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a long time. Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind of a joke.*"
                      >
                      >*And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't prevent composers from hearing the music. It prevents them from hearing the distractions.
                      >Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!

                      Downloaden Sie MSN Explorer kostenlos unter http://explorer.msn.de/intl.asp.
                    • neimhaille
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                        Ok, so I finally did it. I now have a costume ring I have been
                        planning on since.. well I posed the question a few months ago on a
                        few costume sites, and only got one reply so it's been on the back
                        burner.. thinking people weren't interested:)
                        http://frazzledfrau.tripod.com/moulinrouge
                        I've got a list of pages of people and their costumes.. I had more
                        but this is all I can find again. I know there was a group of
                        chickies who did a Lady Marmalade staged thing, so I'll be looking
                        for that.

                        If you do not wish to be listed, and I have already listed you I
                        will take down the link. So far I've only linked to pages I found in
                        google or where a link was sent to a list with public archives etc.

                        Well off to go set 30 grommets in my pink cossie:)

                        There are only a few original costume links, as I am working on
                        finding all the fabulous galleries. I'd be willing to host images if
                        people would like to send me images :).. big grin:)

                        michaela

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "neimhaille" <vcairistiona@h...>